The Student Room Group

anyone have revision tips that are not generic?

??? i'm struggling and hate hearing "make a timetable" "do this quiz to understand what kind of learner you are" etc...!

i'm doing A2 btw- any good, solid tips that are VERY effective?

thank you =)
Reply 1
bump anyone help pls? Anything?
Surely most tips are generic? Foes make any of them less useful. Have a look on threads how to get a* etc.
the best revision tip is to take time and figure out what works for you. if rewriting your notes until your hands ache and your wrists burn helps you remember, then that's how you should take notes. but it's not the best way for most people.
make your notes testable (meaning, they're interactive). flashcards are a good way for this. write a question on one side and the answer on the other and test yourself. you can do this with notes as well - just write little questions for yourself to answer each time you read through them.
if it helps for you (and this one really works for me; as i'm very visual with learning + i'm an art student) do posters. mine are a3 or a2 and they have a lot of colour and doodles to help me remember what's on them. i stick them on walls around my house.
mindmaps are another favourite - because they show the pattern of your thinking + how your brain works. if you can remember this pattern (such as the layout of boxes / colours) then you're more likely to 'train' your brain into thinking in that specific way come a test.
really though: experiment. try out techniques (like the ones i suggested above) and see which works for you.
hope this helps !! :^)
Yeah, stop looking for a magic bullet and just sit your ass on the chair and do it.
Original post by IRoranth
??? i'm struggling and hate hearing "make a timetable" "do this quiz to understand what kind of learner you are" etc...!

thank you =)

What subjects?
Reply 6

thank you =)

do the work
Reply 7
Original post by Terrificmagenta
What subjects?

mostly struggling with notes for A2 US Government and Politics
I teach everything I learn to my family because it helps me learn, and they will feel more involved in your education, which I'm sure a lot of parents want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mostly struggling with notes for A2 US Government and Politics

Ah man. Wish I could help, but I didn't take it so i don't really know! I did more Science based ones. But past papers are key... Are the exams essay based? If they are, make sure you write/ plan out all the essays that could potentially come up.
You have agesss till exam season so don't panic! Good luck. :smile:
Reply 10
Especially if you're trying to learn equations or grammar or something similar (I'm doing both for maths and Latin respectively) then I find it useful to make posters with the information on them and then stick them on my wall, as I look at them often. It helps me learn them more subconsciously, which is wonderful for Latin as it's a very grammatical language that requires a lot of learning of tables of declensions, and conjugations and the such, so looking at a word and immediately knowing its grammatical properties is a very useful skill to have for translation.
Reply 11
Not really much of a "revision tip" per se but.. Always remember that the hardest thing about "studying" is actually starting it. The problem is initially starting to study, and after you properly get your head down the first time i personally find it's a lot easier to build a routine of studying after that. I'm not sure about your school but just have the knowledge that somewhere in the near future, one of your teachers might spring up a surprise test on the class, and if it happens to come up.. you'll be prepared.............
I've just started my A-Levels and I find it really useful to revise as soon as you've learnt something - do it in the same week. Also, revising with classmates passionate about the subject really helps - sometimes your close friends can instead become distractions if everytime you meet up to study you end up chatting about the latest trend or what you're getting up to later.
Also, make it fun for yourself - rather than seeing revision as a stressful time to cram, use it to relax - create a chill out moment where you eat, listen to music and discuss your subjects with your classmates/friends. Choose a book based n your subject for wider reading and read it on the way to school or during a road trip.

Right now these are what's helping me - not sure if it will do the same for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending