The Student Room Group

Which medical schools place a low weighting on interviews to get an offer?

I'm about to chose my 4 choices and since I've already thought about Oxford and UCL, I want to have 2 'safe' options. I was wondering which Unis place a relatively small weighting on interviews compared to academic grades/UKCAT- Basically, I'm scared I'll flop my interviews if I get any.
Thanks for the help!
Edinburgh. Mainly because you don't have an interview :P.

Other than that there really aren't many others. Aberdeen might be one I think...
They're pretty important at them all - they're expensive to run so if they were not important they would not do them. There may be some relative differences but I am not able to tell you what those are.
I would've said UCL, but you're already applying there. :tongue: Unless they've changed it, they invite between 700 and 800 (out of almost 3 000) applicants to an interview, and then make about 500 offers; so, most of the selection is done before the interview stage, and the majority of interviewees can expect to receive offers.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
I would've said UCL, but you're already applying there. :tongue: Unless they've changed it, they invite between 700 and 800 (out of almost 3 000) applicants to an interview, and then make about 500 offers; so, most of the selection is done before the interview stage, and the majority of interviewees can expect to receive offers.

A bit of a relief. But still need to get an interview first tho lol.:smile:
Thanks
Honestly medical schools place so much emphasis on interview because on paper you may look amazing, but in reality will you really have the communication skills, empathy and character which makes a good doctor? this is shown to the interviewers at interview, thats why med schools invest so much time and effort into doing them.

The only medical school which doesn't interview is Edinburgh, but considering your looking for safe options unless you have 14A*s, A*A*AA predicted, 750+ UKCAT, play an instrument, are head body, are the captain of the rowing team and have volunteered in africa Edinburgh will never ever be safe, it is by far one of the most competative application systems of the medical schools, it is right up there with oxford, cambridge, imperial.

Your better looking for medical schools which have a lower interview to offer ratio, the only issue with this method is it is often harder to get to interview stages in the first place.

My advice is go and practice your interview technique, get prepared well as the best applicants at interview as the ones that have prepared (ask any admissions tutor).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending