The Student Room Group

PGCE Drop out - Do I?

PGCE Drop out - do I?

Hey everyone,

I seriously need some advice! I started my secondary PGCE 3 weeks ago and I started school on Monday. Before starting the PGCE I was seriously doubting if teaching is the right career for me, some days I would be ready for it, some days I wish I had never applied. & now after being in school for only a short space of time I have realised that teaching is definitely not for me (I already dread getting up in the morning).

What do I do? Do I quit?
My parents don't know I feel like this, they are so proud of me at the moment!
I have never quit anything before either, I feel like a failure already.

Some advice is seriously welcome!

Thank you!
Original post by lisalou94
PGCE Drop out - do I?

Hey everyone,

I seriously need some advice! I started my secondary PGCE 3 weeks ago and I started school on Monday. Before starting the PGCE I was seriously doubting if teaching is the right career for me, some days I would be ready for it, some days I wish I had never applied. & now after being in school for only a short space of time I have realised that teaching is definitely not for me (I already dread getting up in the morning).

What do I do? Do I quit?

Thank you!

Well that is a difficult one. It will be a waste of money. Do you have a back up plan sorted? As if you dropped out then you have to suddenly find your feet again.
The only good thing about completing the PGCE even if you don't go into teaching is that you show you are fighter and you can achieve something which is known to be quite challenging despite the fact you didn't go into it.

You mentioned your parents. Have you spoken to them about this and told them how you feel about teaching now?
Original post by lisalou94
PGCE Drop out - do I?

Hey everyone,

What do I do? Do I quit?

Thank you!

Have you read this thread?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3716881

It should give you some valuable advice.
I dropped out of a PGCE after 2 months,I am amazed that I lasted that long.I never felt so isolated and demoralised from anything in my life as the 'process' of making me into a teacher.I could relate any of it to the REALITY of working lifethat I was used to.Teaching lives in a parallel universe from life in business, industry and the military.If it's stressing you out,just quit and don't be ashamed in any way.
Original post by David Simpson
I dropped out of a PGCE after 2 months,I am amazed that I lasted that long.I never felt so isolated and demoralised from anything in my life as the 'process' of making me into a teacher.I could relate any of it to the REALITY of working lifethat I was used to.Teaching lives in a parallel universe from life in business, industry and the military.If it's stressing you out,just quit and don't be ashamed in any way.

As the OP was six years ago I'm guessing they have already quit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending