The Student Room Group

Which universities can i apply to with my ukcat score??

---
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by x.sarahh
so i did my ukcat today and tbh im pretty dissapointed and sad because i know that i could have performed much better.
my scores are:

VR: 610
QR: 690
AR: 580
SJ: Band 1

Total: 1880

so that gives me an average of 626.
The thing is i had my mind set on nottingham and manchester for medicine but since theyre ukcat heavy unis who ive heard usually take applicant with scores above 700.
so since im no longer applying to them, are there any universities who would offer me an interview with my score?? I appreciate any help/feedback. thank you

That is not a bad score at all. I suggest you consider Cardiff as they do require UKCAT but they don't really look at it if it's not necessary (only to decide in a 'tie-break' situation between two similar applicants, usually post-interview).
Also take a look at this:
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf
Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by milutin767
That is not a bad score at all. I suggest you consider Cardiff as they do require UKCAT but they don't really look at it if it's not necessary (only to decide in a 'tie-break' situation between two similar applicants, usually post-interview).
Also take a look at this:
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf
Hope it helps :smile:

Thank you that helped alot! i think im definitely going to put down cardiff and birmingham as my choices now. :smile:
You can apply to any.
Reply 4
Aberdeen don't look very heavily at UKCAT, they still consider it but they look more into academics and interview
Original post by hollyt93
Aberdeen don't look very heavily at UKCAT, they still consider it but they look more into academics and interview

No they look at it to break off candidates post-interview. The admissions lady from Aberdeen came to our school and said the average WILL go up this year. Judging by the scores people are getting, I wouldn't be surprised if cut-offs began to rocket.

Also she mentioned last year they received 2700 applications for 170 places. I am looking at the stats right now.

Aberdeen is highly competetive and actually can be hard to get into!
so i did my ukcat today and tbh im pretty dissapointed and sad because i know that i could have performed much better.
my scores are:

The thing is i had my mind set on nottingham and manchester for medicine but since theyre ukcat heavy unis who ive heard usually take applicant with scores above 700.
so since im no longer applying to them, are there any universities who would offer me an interview with my score?? I appreciate any help/feedback. thank you

Well if you are preapred, Bristol judge 70% off personal statement so could be a thought
Reply 7
Original post by .......Jeff458
No they look at it to break off candidates post-interview. The admissions lady from Aberdeen came to our school and said the average WILL go up this year. Judging by the scores people are getting, I wouldn't be surprised if cut-offs began to rocket.

Also she mentioned last year they received 2700 applications for 170 places. I am looking at the stats right now.

I'm just going by experience I know it changes every year so it's hard to compare years as averages go up etc but I actually got the exact same UKCAT score as you and I got into Aberdeen!

Did she say it as in she is 100% certain or was she just assuming because there's 1 less section to do this year?
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Did she say it as in she is 100% certain or was she just assuming because there's 1 less section to do this year?

She said because more people take the test so the average will go up
Reply 10
Be wary when applying to Cardiff and Birmingham. Cardiff won't interview anyone with less than 8 A* in the "right subjects"
Birmingham is also quite GCSE heavy.
Why not try Bristol?
Reply 11
Original post by Jehaan
Be wary when applying to Cardiff and Birmingham. Cardiff won't interview anyone with less than 8 A* in the "right subjects"
Birmingham is also quite GCSE heavy.
Why not try Bristol?

would gcse double science be considered a 'right subject' for cardiff? my school didnt offer triple
She said because more people take the test so the average will go up

That's a weird way to think, so she's assuming everyone does better at the end.

I doubt she is right.
Reply 13
would gcse double science be considered a 'right subject' for cardiff? my school didnt offer triple

By right subjects I mean the ones which all med schools use in points based systems ie English Lang, maths, science so yes double science so you must get at least 8 A*s in including those subjects if that makes sense
Really want to get into Aberdeen but my stats aren't looking good.
my scores are:

Hi,

Take a look at our most recent blogpost on this very topic:
Medical Schoolsto Apply to With a 600-650 UKCAT Score

Hopefully this is of use!
The Medic Portal :����갱

Quick Reply

Latest