The Student Room Group

Oxbridge help gcse HELP

So i got a B in Maths and a C in english language which i am bot pleases with at all. So today i payed for the maths retake in November as i think i could get A*. However when i went to the head of english to retake he said top unis like Oxbridge does not accept retakes which worries me because i want to go to Cambridge or UCL to study economics. Pls i really need to know what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sayf E Ghenaiet
So i got a B in Maths and a C in english language which i am bot pleases with at all. So today i payed for the maths retake in November as i think i could get A*. However when i went to the head of english to retake he said top unis like Oxbridge does not accept retakes which worries me because i want to go to Cambridge or UCL to study economics. Pls i really need to know what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your GCSE grades in maths and English are to be honest not those that I would expect of a potential Cambridge student. Is there any reason why you performed below your potential? If not then I wonder if your goal is realistic.
I would advise retaking them in November, it will not make your Cambridge chances any less likely and may improve your chances if you decide to apply elsewhere. Also work hard in your A level study to perform to absolute best ability and then make sensible uni choices based on how well you do in year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Well in secondary school i didn't know the importance of gcse and didn't concentrate as much as I should have however i have matured alot! But i doubt this is any excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unis will see whether or not you retook GCSEs and obvously that will look negative, but all applications are looked at holistically, so it's not the end of the world if you have to retake a GCSE, especially if the grade ends up going up. A Levels are much more important than GCSEs.
Original post by BobBobson
Unis will see whether or not you retook GCSEs and obvously that will look negative, but all applications are looked at holistically, so it's not the end of the world if you have to retake a GCSE, especially if the grade ends up going up. A Levels are much more important than GCSEs.

Yh well i have matured alot from my gcse and aiming for 3A's and 1 A* at a level. Oh and What if i get a a* in maths retake from a b, eill that look good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sayf E Ghenaiet
Yh well i have matured alot from my gcse and aiming for 3A's and 1 A* at a level. Oh and What if i get a a* in maths retake from a b, eill that look good

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you improve your GCSE and achieve anything close to your aims at A level you will have a great chance of getting a place at a very good university. Focus on achieving those results and consider your options when you see how you are getting on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest