The Student Room Group

will superdrug contact my GP?

my GP just took me off the combined contraceptive pill which I am really miffed about because I had one (ONE!) migraine with an aura and apparently this increases my chance of a stroke.

more info about why this is crap for me here :

Spoiler

but I found out I can buy the pill I was on from Superdrug and they will deliver it to me, they say they will only inform my GP if I consent but I'd really really rather she didn't know as she will lecture me and I don't want to hear it. Has anyone done this? Does it get put on my medical record or is it seperate?

many thanks x
I'm sure the internet knows more about your health, medical history and risk factors than your GP does. Who does she think she is, not wanting you to have a stroke?

If you don't give consent they won't contact anyone.
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
I'm sure the internet knows more about your health, medical history and risk factors than your GP does. Who does she think she is, not wanting you to have a stroke?

If you don't give consent they won't contact anyone.

These are new findings that reflect a tiny proportion of cases. I know a lot of women with migraines whose GPs have no qualms about prescribing them the combined contraceptive. sure, there is a risk but it's the same as the risk I take getting in the car every day and not ending up in an accident.

were I a smoker, with a family history of high blood pressure, blood clotting and strokes I would take this more seriously. the link between migraines and strokes is tenuous.
Original post by Lumos
These are new findings that reflect a tiny proportion of cases. I know a lot of women with migraines whose GPs have no qualms about prescribing them the combined contraceptive. sure, there is a risk but it's the same as the risk I take getting in the car every day and not ending up in an accident.

were I a smoker, with a family history of high blood pressure, blood clotting and strokes I would take this more seriously. the link between migraines and strokes is tenuous.

Yes they could contact your GP if they were really concerned but would probably tell you first . The questionnaire will ask you if you ve ever had any migraines and things so their own doctor may refuse anyway , also compared to no charge, won't £30 every 3 months be a bit much? (At least some pills could be around that as it's a private prescription not NHS you d be getting)
There's plenty of pills with just progesterone in you can try and other acne treatments, why not get an opinion of a different doctor before you go taking a risk with your health.

The one migraine I had, was actually because it was causing my blood pressure to shoot up and personally although I was completely healthy otherwise I decided to take their advice because those things that don't have much of a chance of happening like to happen to my family.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Yes they could contact your GP if they were really concerned but would probably tell you first . The questionnaire will ask you if you ve ever had any migraines and things so their own doctor may refuse anyway , also compared to no charge, won't £30 every 3 months be a bit much? (At least some pills could be around that as it's a private prescription not NHS you d be getting)
There's plenty of pills with just progesterone in you can try and other acne treatments, why not get an opinion of a different doctor before you go taking a risk with your health.

The one migraine I had, was actually because it was causing my blood pressure to shoot up and personally although I was completely healthy otherwise I decided to take their advice because those things that don't have much of a chance of happening like to happen to my family.

thanks for your reply. it would be £25 for 6 months which is fine for me really. I have been prescribed a progesterone only pill which I WILL try but if I get all the horrible side effects I've been told about I don't intend to stick it out. I had my blood pressure tested just now when I went to the GP and it was fine, even though I had this migraine a month ago.

would it be genuinely awful to lie and say I never had a migraine to get the prescription, I know I'm only hurting myself but I don't really care at this point as the thought of getting the implant/coil gives me massive anxiety and nausea just considering it but those are my only other options.
Original post by Lumos
thanks for your reply. it would be £25 for 6 months which is fine for me really. I have been prescribed a progesterone only pill which I WILL try but if I get all the horrible side effects I've been told about I don't intend to stick it out. I had my blood pressure tested just now when I went to the GP and it was fine, even though I had this migraine a month ago.

would it be genuinely awful to lie and say I never had a migraine to get the prescription, I know I'm only hurting myself but I don't really care at this point as the thought of getting the implant/coil gives me massive anxiety and nausea just considering it but those are my only other options.

I was on the COCP for years until the practice nurse asked me about migraines. I've had absolutely no side effects from the progesterone only. No periods either. Give it a shot.

Your GP is only trying to look after you.
Reply 6
Original post by Lumos
my GP just took me off the combined contraceptive pill which I am really miffed about because I had one (ONE!) migraine with an aura and apparently this increases my chance of a stroke.

more info about why this is crap for me here :

Spoiler

but I found out I can buy the pill I was on from Superdrug and they will deliver it to me, they say they will only inform my GP if I consent but I'd really really rather she didn't know as she will lecture me and I don't want to hear it. Has anyone done this? Does it get put on my medical record or is it seperate?

many thanks x

Nah they won't even have your medical records. Go for it, but if something happens to you, your gp won't be liable for negligence lol

Quick Reply

Latest