The Student Room Group

Do you own a DashCam?

And would you recommend one for other drivers out there? :holmes:

Seems like they can save an awful lot of hassle with insurers for such a small investment!

Does anyone have any experiences?
Reply 1
Have had MiVues in my last couple of cars. The first one was stolen along with the car, the second one has just pooed the bed and won't write files correctly after just under a year. Both were in the £50-60 range and not bad IMO. Definitely picking another one up soon, and a matching one for my girlfriend's car.

Edit: Turns out the dashcam itself was fine, it was just the memory card that had died. Not surprising really considering the kind of usage they get. Ended up getting a NextBase model for my girlfriend. Build quality and UI definitely leave something to be desired over the MiVue, especially considering they were at a very similar price point

Here's a little clip from a few days ago (ignore the time-stamp, I need to sort that out). Apparently double mini roundabouts are too much for some people.

[video="youtube;KKSR6flC0o0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKSR6flC0o0&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z12mf52hosmngt spn04cjvijeryvehaikew[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
i have a £30 one off amazon, quality is good enough and was easy to set up
I have a Prestigio GPS dashcam from argos. Great capture quality, but the only niggle is that you can't change the speed unit from kph, and the quick save feature requires pressing a very stiff button on the side which, to do so, means you'll completely screw up the angle
(edited 7 years ago)
My first dashcam was from Transcend. My current dashcam has the GPS feature disabled as I don't want my speed showing. I would recommend going for something discrete so it wouldn't attract thieves, you fit it in your car and forget about it. Don't settle for anything less than 1080p, go for a high-res and high FPS cam, as long as it the camera loops the recordings you don't need to worry about storage. And it's very helpful to have the "emergency save" button or something that you can press and the dashcam protects the footage from being overwritten.
I havent got one but have thought about getting one.
Very tempted after my last car accident..
I got a couple of dashcams as thought that it would be a good idea to have just incase, I have two for both of my cars which are the NextBase 212, one has gps and the other one doen't. The image quality is good as it is 1080p, I had the first one hardwired where I brought it from and the second one I decided to hardwire it myself and found it quite easy and saved me some money.

I haven't really seen many other cars with them installed, I wasn't sure whether to get one or which one to go for but eventually decided to just get one. I would say it could be worth having one in just to cover yourself if something happens and also in some cases if something funny happens you can post it online
I don't have one, and I kind of feel like it would be good to get one just in case. But I don't want to set one up and have it record my music playing in the car and my poor quality embarrassing attempts to sing along to it.

Quick Reply

Latest