The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got an e-mail today saying I'm through to the next round. I personally think the competency statements and online scores should have been marked in one go; seems like a very odd way of doing things.*
Reply 101
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Got an e-mail today saying I'm through to the next round. I personally think the competency statements and online scores should have been marked in one go; seems like a very odd way of doing things.*

At least this way you know where you slipped up the online tests or the competencies.
My email said:
"

We are delighted to let you know that you are in the top scoring applications for the online tests. You have therefore reached the next stage of your application for the post of Higher Officer Caseworker.

Your application will now be placed with our independent panel that will assess and score the competency statement(s) provided in your application. We expect to start reviewing the competency statements shortly and provide you with an outcome within the next two weeks, if not sooner.

We wish you all the best with your application.

Kind regards

HMRC Surge Resourcing Team"

I only got to about ~20 on the numeric sequence, but I got through the other stuff ok. I didn't write about a specific example, but I'm hoping that its a forgivable mistake.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone please remind me of the 4 compentencies? Would really appreciate it!
And can't see to find the downloadable candidate pack :frown: would be very grateful if someone could post that please.
Good luck all!
Original post by Sassinator
Can someone please remind me of the 4 compentencies? Would really appreciate it!
And can't see to find the downloadable candidate pack :frown: would be very grateful if someone could post that please.
Good luck all!

Making effective decisions
Leading and communicating
Delivering at pace

Not sure of the court think it could have been managing a quality service?
Reply 105
So has anybody else here gone for Liverpool?
Of the people who were successful, had any of you put Glasgow as the preferred choice?
Newcastle for me. I believe it's their biggest office so I'm hoping that if I get through the competencies, there'll be plenty jobs!
Reply 108
This wait is the worst one.. Feel more in control at the interview stage
Reply 109
Nottingham for me. Anyone else?
Original post by Sk80gse
My understanding was they sift on the first, then only score competencies for the second if you scored a pass mark or high mark on that. So if your first is stronger then that's better. I feel my first is stringer too. But been through many sifts at lots of different levels, it's hard to tell what the person who is scoring will think, I think it's hard to be objective.

Oh right I see! No I meant that my 'leading and collaborating' competency was stronger, which was the second of the two...but I guess I'll just have to wait. I really just have no idea what type of example they were looking for as I've never applied to the CS before, but oh well, I guess this will be a learning experience!
Original post by Sk80gse
As an aside; I think we will here much sooner than 2 weeks if we get through competency sift as I'm sure I read interviews to start 20th October.

I really hope that's true. The timing is definitely confusing...they did say in the booklet that they would start around the end of October (I thought it said 24th but it might have been 20th), so if they only tell us on the 19th then we don't really have much time to prepare.

Does anybody know if Bristol normally has many jobs to offer at the end of this process? And is there any data on how many people apply to each office?! I'd like to know my odds, not that it would help!
Original post by hapeaman
Oh right I see! No I meant that my 'leading and collaborating' competency was stronger, which was the second of the two...but I guess I'll just have to wait. I really just have no idea what type of example they were looking for as I've never applied to the CS before, but oh well, I guess this will be a learning experience!

I think as long as you have hit the bullet points for that particular competency, you won't have gone far wrong. However I have in the past written competencies and gone out of my way to write around the bullet points and still only managed to score 3. This is after having them checked by my husband who has been trained to assess competency statements. So who knows?
Original post by Sk80gse
I think as long as you have hit the bullet points for that particular competency, you won't have gone far wrong. However I have in the past written competencies and gone out of my way to write around the bullet points and still only managed to score 3. This is after having them checked by my husband who has been trained to assess competency statements. So who knows?

Wow that's unfortunate...and makes the decision process sound as random as hell! Hopefully that won't happen this time.

Well I think I hit each bullet point but it's really difficult to tell, I guess I'll just have to wait- but the wait is killing me already...
Got my email yesterday too! Is anyone applying for Leeds?
Reply 115
Anyone applied for London
Original post by Ashhb
Anyone applied for London

I have London as one of my back up choices, but as far as I understand that is kind of meaningless right? They only seem to look at your first choice.
Reply 117
Yeah I'm sure it says that they'll only consider you for your preference and no other location
I completely forgot to apply for this role. Gutting isn't the word. Hoping I can get a place on the tsp where there is clear profression. Friends on the tsp said not too bother with the HO role as there really isnt much scope to move up unless you apply internally for the tsp once there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
What is tsp? Out of curiosity

Latest

Trending

Trending