Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Being Put Down Put You Off Too?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I thought I could write a little something, just to get a point across.
    I'll probably have people criticise me but I do not care anymore.
    I've been hearing so much this week, reading so much about people being told that they can't do anything with their lives.
    That they are useless.
    That they are meaningless.
    That, they will never amount to anything.
    And it's honestly the stupidest thing, and angers me so much when I hear somebody tell others that. What gives you the right to say that to another person? To another human being? What gave you the power to be able to dictate whether people will become successful or not? This is such a problem in our generation, that others feel the need to put other people down, whether it is through their insecurities, or through their times of hardship.
    We do not put other people down, we haven't got the right to tell somebody that THEY CAN'T DO SOMETHING. We just simply do not possess the power to do that, because we ourselves are not perfect. We, as individuals, will never ever be perfect, we will never be flawless. But the only way we can become better, is to be cut and shaped by the hardships of life.
    A diamond becomes a diamond after coal has been cut and shaped.
    And that's the same for us.
    We all have the potential to achieve, to obtain our dreams and smash goals that excite us beyond our wildest dreams. Why should we wait, for external opinions and criticism from others who don't understand your dreams to shoot us down? When this is our lifetime, it has our name on it, there's nothing they can do about it. We should not wait for somebody to tell us to not do it, we should already be getting it done. But when they do tell us that we can't do it, we should rise up, together. We should work together, support each other, and prove to everybody that you are worth unlimited potential.
    Because why should I waste my one and only lifetime, living it to the expectations and opinions of others? They have their own life, and I have mine. And I will succeed. I will do what has been written of me.
    Because in life, we don't get out of it what we want.
    We get out of it, who we are.
    And usually to find out who we are, we have to go through a process. But every single time...the process is more important than the product, because the process signifies what YOU as a person, as a developing character finding themselves...had to go through.
    We are born twice in this lifetime.
    Once when our Mother gives birth to us.
    And once when we realise our purpose in life.
    Don't back down anymore. Don't be afraid anymore. If something excites you, chase it. If a topic interests you, master it. If life inspires you, dominate it.
    Find out your legacy, and once you know what it is...leave your mark on the world.
    God Bless.

I don't think it's so much out of malice as it is the existential realisation my generation has had that we aren't special snowflakes, chances are we can't do whatever we "put out minds to" and essentially, we are all totally meaningless.

I don't think a generation has ever had less will to live, and I'll be damned if I let the one after me have one either.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.