The Student Room Group

Taking a beginner's language at university

Hello all,

I'm currently studying Spanish, English Literature and ICT at a-level and I'm in the process of applying for university.

I have concluded that I want to study Spanish at university definitely since it's my favourite subject and ever since studying it, I've developed an on-growing passion for it. Although I had a question regarding a university course.

Would it be worth starting a language at beginner's level? If so, would I reach the level of fluency that I have in Spanish currently over the 4 year language course? I've been considering German, Portuguese and Italian as beginner languages as with the ability to speak another language, chances have it that you will be more employable.

However, Portuguese and Italian are much closer to Spanish than German is. Therefore would learning German be too difficult to do in university as a beginner language?

Any advice or opinions would really be beneficial to me as I'm looking for as much advice as I can seek. Preferably those who have experience of studying a beginners language or know about what it entails.

Thank you for reading!
It is definitely worth picking up a second language at university, yes. First-year ab initio (beginner) language modules are designed to get you to A level standard in one year, and by your third year you are expected to have caught up with the non-beginner students. It is not uncommon for people to leave university fluent in a language they didn't study at school, ultimately your level of fluency will depend on you and how hard you work.

It is true that Spanish is very similar to Portuguese and Italian, this might give you an advantage but it might also be difficult to keep them separate and not mix them up. Personally, I think you should pick whichever language/country you like most and not worry about which one is hardest.
Original post by sean674
Hello all,

I'm currently studying Spanish, English Literature and ICT at a-level and I'm in the process of applying for university.

I have concluded that I want to study Spanish at university definitely since it's my favourite subject and ever since studying it, I've developed an on-growing passion for it. Although I had a question regarding a university course.

Would it be worth starting a language at beginner's level? If so, would I reach the level of fluency that I have in Spanish currently over the 4 year language course? I've been considering German, Portuguese and Italian as beginner languages as with the ability to speak another language, chances have it that you will be more employable.

However, Portuguese and Italian are much closer to Spanish than German is. Therefore would learning German be too difficult to do in university as a beginner language?

Any advice or opinions would really be beneficial to me as I'm looking for as much advice as I can seek. Preferably those who have experience of studying a beginners language or know about what it entails.

Thank you for reading!

I've just had 4 offers for Spanish and beginners German!!

Quick Reply

Latest