The Student Room Group

UKCAT Decision Making

Hi guys,
So I've got the UKCAT in a few days time and I was wondering what do you guys recommend when doing the Decision Making part of the test? Are we allowed to just rest (as it does not go to the final score) or do we have to do it? I'd rather rest for 30mins to be honest :/

I know this section had been put in this year to help future students taking the test next year, but I don't want to be wasting my energy on a section that will not count towards my final score.

Also any tips for the verbal reasoning section? I'm finding it hard to read everything within the time limit.

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Have a rest, skip it and move on. It's not worth wasting valuable energy on a section that doesn't bear any weighting on your result and application.

Personally I would have liked to see them incorporate it as an optional section at the end of the test (after SJT), I feel like more people would have a genuine go at completing it then.
Reply 2
Original post by Marathi
Have a rest, skip it and move on. It's not worth wasting valuable energy on a section that doesn't bear any weighting on your result and application.

Personally I would have liked to see them incorporate it as an optional section at the end of the test (after SJT), I feel like more people would have a genuine go at completing it then.

Yep exactly what I was thinking. And yes I think that would have been better as it will not seem like they are forcing you to the extra section. Thanks
Got told at test centre that unis could ask for it if they wanted to. Seems a bit unfair in those that did it properly could end up with lower marks so I agree it should have come at the end of the test.
Reply 4
Original post by redhelen
Got told at test centre that unis could ask for it if they wanted to. Seems a bit unfair in those that did it properly could end up with lower marks so I agree it should have come at the end of the test.

seriously? that is unfair as it said that it will not be counted/seen. However, if unis apparently do look at that section they would have said so on their website or even the UKCAT website. Don't know if the test centre is just messing with you so people actually do the section? :/ :biggrin:
Possibly, but if the majority of people didn't attempt it I'm not quite sure why it was on there in the first place!
I just got back from mine, and what I found useful was writing down things to remember for the quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning - I did the first question then couldn't be bothered to think about it in all honesty! But don't sit there for the whole half an hour, or you won't be in the zone anymore :smile: good luck!!
You can just spend a few mins resting then skip the entire section right?

Quick Reply

Latest