The Student Room Group

Student Loan Query

Me and a friend are both student nurses. We both receive the same amount of bursary, live away from our parental homes and have both applied for SF. I have received the full amount for the non-means tested loan where as my friend has been told that she is only entitled to £600, due to the fact she was issued money at the beginning of the year which she then gave back in full. She has been trying to get this money for over 3 months, after her paperwork failed to be processed and people from SFE have failed to get back to her. We are both concerned as to why she is no longer entitled to the full amount of the non-means tested loan when she hasn't taken any money as of yet.
Can someone explain why I'm entitled and she isn't?
Moved to Student Financial Support.
Original post by crouchhhi
Me and a friend are both student nurses. We both receive the same amount of bursary, live away from our parental homes and have both applied for SF. I have received the full amount for the non-means tested loan where as my friend has been told that she is only entitled to £600, due to the fact she was issued money at the beginning of the year which she then gave back in full. She has been trying to get this money for over 3 months, after her paperwork failed to be processed and people from SFE have failed to get back to her. We are both concerned as to why she is no longer entitled to the full amount of the non-means tested loan when she hasn't taken any money as of yet.
Can someone explain why I'm entitled and she isn't?

That is a very hard question to accurately answer so I would suggest your friend phones up and she will get an accurate answer

It could be due to a overpayment as you mentioned she previously had to pay money back - *if she has paid that money back then yes she should get her funding back

Going from memory I think the reduced rate maintenance loan for NHS students is around 2400.

If it is an overpayment then she can pay it back in other ways such as if she can prove she's financially struggling then she can pay it back in monthly instalments or even after she graduates.

Again, very hard to accurately answer so I would strongly advise your friend to call up

Quick Reply