The Student Room Group

Medical Physics EPQ ideas?

Currently in year 13, our college suddenly decided today that they're now letting people sign up for the EPQ, so I know it's kind of late.

Deadline is 7th October. I'd like the topic to be on something Medical Physics related. Ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Currently in year 13, our college suddenly decided today that they're now letting people sign up for the EPQ, so I know it's kind of late.

Deadline is 7th October. I'd like the topic to be on something Medical Physics related. Ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Radiation safety and effects.

X Ray machines

Ultrasound(is used to break up kidney stones and also get scans of babies inside the mothers womb).

I'm sure there's lots of stuff just google it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
proton beam therapy?
Reply 3
Original post by RossB1702
Radiation safety and effects.

X Ray machines

Ultrasound(is used to break up kidney stones and also get scans of babies inside the mothers womb).

Cheers, ultrasound seems quite interesting.

Original post by Joinedup
proton beam therapy?

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Medical effects of space flight?
Proton Beam Therapy is probably the most interesting Medical Physics topic I can think of, maybe comparing it to different radiotherapy methods, the feasibility of it having a large impact upon how cancers are dealt with in general and whether or not the NHS should implement it for most cancer patients currently undergoing radiotherapy. If you're in the London area, UCL Science Centre is doing a public lecture on the topic in a few weeks time which could prove to be useful for your EPQ.
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
Medical effects of space flight?

Hmm yeah that could be good thanks, I also talk about psychological effects.

Original post by drinktheoceans
Proton Beam Therapy is probably the most interesting Medical Physics topic I can think of, maybe comparing it to different radiotherapy methods, the feasibility of it having a large impact upon how cancers are dealt with in general and whether or not the NHS should implement it for most cancer patients currently undergoing radiotherapy. If you're in the London area, UCL Science Centre is doing a public lecture on the topic in a few weeks time which could prove to be useful for your EPQ.

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately not in London. Do you reckon I'd be able to get a good 5000 words out of this specific area?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately not in London. Do you reckon I'd be able to get a good 5000 words out of this specific area?

No worries and that's a shame you're not in the London area. However, I think you could get 5000 words out of it, don't worry if you struggle to do so, as you could always make it more general halfway through your project.

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by drinktheoceans
No worries and that's a shame you're not in the London area. However, I think you could get 5000 words out of it, don't worry if you struggle to do so, as you could always make it more general halfway through your project.

Spoiler

Okay, thank you very much for your help!
How ironic, I'm doing my EPQ atm comparing Proton Beam Therapy and IMRT, I'm focusing it on medulloblastoma as a contact from Harvard gave me about 13 articles she was involved in and easily found IMRT articles too. Let me know if you want help maybe i can provide some info. and I think 5000 sounds about right as I did a 3000 word report this summer for my Nuffield Research Programme and tbh it wasn't as bad as i thought.
Original post by UncannyManny
How ironic, I'm doing my EPQ atm comparing Proton Beam Therapy and IMRT, I'm focusing it on medulloblastoma as a contact from Harvard gave me about 13 articles she was involved in and easily found IMRT articles too. Let me know if you want help maybe i can provide some info. and I think 5000 sounds about right as I did a 3000 word report this summer for my Nuffield Research Programme and tbh it wasn't as bad as i thought.

Thanks for the offer, good luck with your EPQ! You're certainly a lot more prepared than I am - I didn't even know I was doing an EPQ till a couple weeks ago. Though that was due to my college making the last minute decision to start doing them this year.

I'd like to keep mine more general, do you think that will be OK?
I think its better as a last minute thing because my college did the opposite and dragged it out for sooooo loong and it was unnecessary. It's okay to generalize it although have something to stick to like which factors to compare by to keep you in a straight line while researching/writing.
Reply 12
Original post by UncannyManny

How did it go?
I'm thinking of doing something similar with physics in medicine (probably cancer treatment or radiation imaging) could you let me know the comparison points you made between PBT and IMRT?

Quick Reply

Latest