The Student Room Group

Any advice on how to do well in the Economics Admissions Assessment?

I'm applying to Cambridge for Economics and I have to do the ECAA for my application. It has problem solving, maths and an essay. I've done the specimen paper and tbh it didn't go very well. Do you have any tips for preparing for this? Thanks a lot
Original post by choondy1
I'm applying to Cambridge for Economics and I have to do the ECAA for my application. It has problem solving, maths and an essay. I've done the specimen paper and tbh it didn't go very well. Do you have any tips for preparing for this? Thanks a lot

Hi! I've been looking over the specimen paper, and it didn't go really well for me too. I think since it is the first year that Cambridge has brought out the ECAA there isn't much material for preparations. After speaking to some staff from my college, I was told to find and look at some admissions tests from Oxford, i.e. the TSA. I presume looking at STEP questions would be to some extent helpful as well for the Maths and Problem Solving paper from ECAA. Hope this helps you, and good luck in November :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Emma73737
Hi! I've been looking over the specimen paper, and it didn't go really well for me too. I think since it is the first year that Cambridge has brought out the ECAA there isn't much material for preparations. After speaking to some staff from my college, I was told to find and look at some admissions tests from Oxford, i.e. the TSA. I presume looking at STEP questions would be to some extent helpful as well for the Maths and Problem Solving paper from ECAA. Hope this helps you, and good luck in November :smile:

Hi Thanks for your reply! good luck to you too! Yeah so far I've just been doing TSA questions for problem solving and for maths I looked at the other admissions papers for subjects like Natural Science, Psychology and Engineering. Did you have a look at MAT papers from Oxford as well?
Original post by choondy1
Hi Thanks for your reply! good luck to you too! Yeah so far I've just been doing TSA questions for problem solving and for maths I looked at the other admissions papers for subjects like Natural Science, Psychology and Engineering. Did you have a look at MAT papers from Oxford as well?

Actually no I haven't but it seems like a good idea :smile: I am looking at them now, and in comparison to the ECAA it seems as though the MAT includes a lot of trigonometry questions which did not come up on the specimen paper. However, I see how the other questions like logarithms and some others are similar. Thank you for the idea! I'll definitely look through those in more detail for preparation.

Quick Reply

Latest