The Student Room Group

Tuition fees heading over £9,500

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
The government just loves to con young people out of money. The fees go up every year "due to inflation", yet the repayment threshold remains completely unchanged since 2012.

If people are still willing to go to university, then it would make sense to increase prices since they can earn more. Tuition fees have gone up a lot over the past ten years but enrolment into universities has also increased a lot so clearly the demand is there to pay a higher price.

If people don't want to pay for university, they do not have to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think students should pay exactly how much it costs for them to run their degree program. Not anymore, not any less.
Original post by Ladbants
If people are still willing to go to university, then it would make sense to increase prices since they can earn more. Tuition fees have gone up a lot over the past ten years but enrolment into universities has also increased a lot so clearly the demand is there to pay a higher price.

It does not make much difference for one more or less student in a lecture hall.

University education in England was free of charge before 1997. It is not one-to-one tuition. The Universities can profit more when the amount of students enrolled increases, especially the overseas students and for the arts and business courses.

The government needed to cut spending in education so as to fulfill the ever-growing spending in pensions, for baby-bloomer generations!

Please do never say "the graduates can earn more", "the uni students are adults.....to be responsible for what they are spending". We have been fed up by such wordings, coming from a number of hypocrites!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by #ChaosKass
Good, and may they continue to rise.

Swear you're a troll
Lol. Good luck to anyone studying Fashion Design or anything with the word "studies" on the end of their degree title. You'll need it if you're going to pay off your uni loan.
(edited 7 years ago)
It doesn't make a difference to me, I'd still go to university. I get tution fee loan and I'll pay it off in small amounts on monthly basis so it's alright. Plus, it doesn't stop me getting an mortgage etc.

I'm entitled to maintenance loans and grant (started in 2015).
I bet none of them will increase their bursary's or scholarship's....
Reply 27
******* tories
How much does it actually cost to use the uni facilities, pay the professors and what not? Because I don't think it's £9000 a year
Original post by Moogle679
I bet none of them will increase their bursary's or scholarship's....

Why would they? Universities are businesses first and foremost, there's no reason for them to give money to students willy nilly.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Why would they? Universities are businesses first and foremost, there's no reason for them to give money to students willy nilly.

Youre actually so annoying tbh.
Just go to a university in Denmark, not only is it free but the government there pays you as you study!
Original post by Ladbants

Like, no? An absolute ton of jobs now have started stipulating a degree in order to advance in that job - take being in the police force for example. Before, you could join the force straight out of higher education and progress if you worked hard. Now, you have to have a degree and have studied policing and law enforcement before you'll even be considered. That's one example in thousands. To get into basically any field you have to have years of experience, a BA and usually an MA behind you. If your life plans involve working your way up through the ranks of a company with little education then that's possible, yes, but for maybe 1 in 100 people? The other 99 spend their entire adult lives at the bottom of said company, wishing they'd graduated with a better degree. Simply 'not going' to avoid costs isn't an option for 90% of students so your generalisations are pretty useless.
Reply 34
Original post by pinkypaz123
How much does it actually cost to use the uni facilities, pay the professors and what not? Because I don't think it's £9000 a year

It's not even 3000 a year. Lots of people only turn up to exams anyways. Massive flippin sham.
I wouldn't be so shocked if the same record number of students STILL decide to go to uni after all these fee hikes. So many people are just too afraid of the unknown to try and make it on their own. It pains me to see it.
Original post by pinkypaz123

For some degrees, a lot less. For some degrees, a lot more.
Original post by Kürbiskern
I wouldn't be so shocked if the same record number of students STILL decide to go to uni after all these fee hikes. So many people are just too afraid of the unknown to try and make it on their own. It pains me to see it.

Not everyone can be an amazing businessman and not everyone wants to be so.Some people actually want to study how the world works.That is supposed to be what universities are for you know, studying and research.If you want to be a doctor or an engineer or a scientist say how are you supposed to do that without getting a degree? There are not nearly the same opportunities for apprenticeships as there used to be.I f you want to get on a really good apprenticeship nowadays you have to have excellent grades so its not exactly an alternative route for the less academically inclined is it? The goverment want to increase fees so that only rich people can go to university which is the exact opposite to what theresa may said in her first speech as PM.If you have the ability then you shouldnt have to pay excessive amounts because it shouldnt matter how much money you have.It should be based upon merit.Quite frankly the government are ****ing us over and people should be rioting in the streets over it.
Original post by Kürbiskern

The only marginally decent apprenticeships I see advertised towards me are practical sort of building and engineering things, and such like that's very pigeonholing into a certain type of career. Now, I'm no good at practical things, to the extent that I managed to effectively get myself kicked off the GCSE course for engineering.

That leaves me with the "lesser" apprenticeships, which are more "general" in that they don't force a particular route, but they're those such as the glorious aldi one or one in my local specsavers. I could not give a single **** about that sort of thing.

This leaves me with perhaps average office jobs where I start at the bottom and over years work my way up at best, given my lack of particular talents that would serve me well for entering into marginally more interesting higher paid jobs eg a chef. Worse case, I'm in glorious manual labour or some retail arsing around. The only other thing I can think of to avoid all that sort of gubbins would be joining the army or something, which isn't a great prospect really. In the average office scenario, there's a chance I may still be stifled slightly by lacking any decent fancy qualification.

I've sat and thought about this before and the only thing I can really think of that would help to get me a job where I firstly would actually be able to do with my skillset and secondly wouldn't make me want to end my own life (or at the very least be high paying enough to push those thoughts away) would be doing a degree of some kind.

Unless I've missed something obvious....
Yet another addition to the list of reasons I'll never vote Tory. Goodbye, financial security whenever my income crosses the 20k threshold!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending