The Student Room Group

Do I have an ovarian cyst?

Found a painful lump on the right side of my groin today. Never had anything like this before. I've included a photo to show you the exact location. (where my finger is). http://imgur.com/a/CqZmF

Could this just be a swollen gland or is it something more serious? I've had friends go into hospital before with a swollen ovary that has passed onto their kidneys so I'm a little spooked.

Is this completely normal and will go away, or do I need to visit a doctor asap?

Thankyou.
Well ovarian cysts have a lot of other symptoms such as:
- Irregular periods
-Lower tummy (abdominal) pain.
- Back pain
- constipation
- swollen abdomen
- loss of appetite
- severe pain in the pelvic area
So if you have any of those then i would advise seeing a doctor and arranging an ultrasound scan ASAP.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Found a painful lump on the right side of my groin today. Never had anything like this before. I've included a photo to show you the exact location. (where my finger is). http://imgur.com/a/CqZmF

Could this just be a swollen gland or is it something more serious? I've had friends go into hospital before with a swollen ovary that has passed onto their kidneys so I'm a little spooked.

Is this completely normal and will go away, or do I need to visit a doctor asap?

Thankyou.

No banana for scale? :tongue:
It is most likely nothing, but it's worth seeing a doctor just incase. You can easily get sebacious cysts, swolen glands and other minor things down there but it can also be something a bit more serious like hemeroids or even serious conditions. It's one of those things you can't really know for sure unless you see a doctor. I wouldn't worry though. It's probably just a swolen gland or something and will annoy you for a few days then be on it's way :smile:
I've had an ovarian cyst in the past and the location wasn't where you've found indicated. I had a deep ache in the pelvic area but no other symptoms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Thankyou.

I cant see the image currently, but having Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome myself iv never managed to feel any cysts.
Im not saying its deffinately not but i think its unlikely.
If your worried book a drs appointment to get checked out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
I cant see the image currently, but having Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome myself iv never managed to feel any cysts.
Im not saying its deffinately not but i think its unlikely.
If your worried book a drs appointment to get checked out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit:
Im gonna say no, thats more your inner hip the joint of your hip, id say possibly a lymph node?

Your ovaries are more central, or certainly thats where the drs felt for my ovarian cysts

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could just be swollen glands or something, but I'd say check it out with your GP anyway. Do you have any other symptoms?
Reply 7
Its more than likely a swollen lymph node or a different kind of cyst as that is not where you ovaries are but if it doesn't go away in the next few days or it becomes more painful or grows, be sure to get it checked. When I had an ovarian cyst, I had no symptoms at all. It only got diagnosed by accident when I was getting an ultrasound to check my kidneys.
(edited 7 years ago)
Only your GP/ gynaecologist can tell you this
Reply 9
That is not where your ovaries are. But getting a lump checked by a GP can't be a bad idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest