Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting over trust issues/the past

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi everyone,

In the past I have had several bad relationships involving cheating lying etc. They have all betrayed me in one way or another (coming onto another girl, sleeping with another girl, lying about doing drugs, comparing me to other women, wasn't over his ex, one even admitted to only staying with me so long for sex). These are experiences I have had with different men.

I am in a new relationship now and while I have no evidence that he is being unfaithful, I still really struggle to not worry about anything. I know not everyone is bad and unfaithful etc but I can't help but to struggle with this issue a lot. I don't know what to do anymore, I feel like I will never let myself trust anyone again but I want to have a happy trusting relationship. Has anyone been through this type of thing before or can give me advice? Thanks

I can understand where you're coming from. Trust issues are never going to completely go away, you have to learn to accept them and how to manage them. Just because previous relationships haven't ended well, doesn't mean this will, it only takes one relationship to work to be happy It takes time, you just need to not let affect your relationship too much such as being controlling, as this will only push them away. Perhaps try not to get too attached and remember you have separate lives and they need space too, try and not expect too much and hopefully you won't get let down. Best of luck with it, I'm here to talk :hugs:
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.