The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Uni, Collingwood or University College?

I've looked through all the college information, and I really cannot decide which college to apply to out of Collingwood and Castle. I like that castle has the whole traditional atmosphere and buildings but I know that only about 30% actually get to stay there. Collingwood is also nice looking but it isn't as central or as pretty. When I visited Durham I didn't actually have time to visit the colleges unfortunately, which is a problem and I won't be able to before sending off my UCAS form.

I'm applying for engineering as well, not particularly sporty but do like swimming and cycling. Also like the more oxbridgey feel of University College. I guess another thought is which kind of college would have people that will have similar interests to me as well. -I'm not an overly party kind of person but at the same time I'm not a complete social recluse either, and like going out etc. Although I'm applying for a mathsy engineeringy I don't see it as the be all and end all of what I like (also into history and politics etc). Dunno if any of that helps. Oh yeah, I also go to a private school but don't want a college that is really posh and up its own a****, but at the same time don't want to go to a college where people there snear at people like me for having gone to a private school.
You seem to have a good set of pros and cons for both, so the one thing that swings it for me is that you're interested in swimming. University is about 10 minutes walk from Freeman's Quay, where the swimming pool in the city centre is (the university doesn't have its own) while Collingwood is a good 25-30 minutes away. Other than that, both colleges seem to suit any of the preferences you've suggested, so either would be a good choice regardless.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm applying to Hatfield 🙌🏼 anyone got any info on it? I went to Durham but couldn't look around there, from what I've been told it sounds great thkugh
Original post by ineedA
I'm applying to Hatfield 🙌🏼 anyone got any info on it? I went to Durham but couldn't look around there, from what I've been told it sounds great thkugh

It's one of the closest to the city centre, so pretty convenient for almost everywhere. The main buildings are also lovely, though some of the blocks (including Palmer's Garth) and the bar aren't quite so nice, though still perfectly adequate and functioning. It's got a bit of a reputation for being posh and certainly has one of the highest percentages of private school entrants, though it's up to you whether this is necessarily a good/bad thing. It's also the butt of most Durham jokes, though lovingly so.
Original post by clonedmemories
You seem to have a good set of pros and cons for both, so the one thing that swings it for me is that you're interested in swimming. University is about 10 minutes walk from Freeman's Quay, where the swimming pool in the city centre is (the university doesn't have its own) while Collingwood is a good 25-30 minutes away. Other than that, both colleges seem to suit any of the preferences you've suggested, so either would be a good choice regardless.

Thanks for your advice, proximity to a swimming pool isn't really a deal-breaker but I will definitely consider that, particularly since University is much closer to where everything is anyway :smile:
Reply 5
It's one of the closest to the city centre, so pretty convenient for almost everywhere. The main buildings are also lovely, though some of the blocks (including Palmer's Garth) and the bar aren't quite so nice, though still perfectly adequate and functioning. It's got a bit of a reputation for being posh and certainly has one of the highest percentages of private school entrants, though it's up to you whether this is necessarily a good/bad thing. It's also the butt of most Durham jokes, though lovingly so.

it's not snobby is it? one of the reasons i applied there is because of the high private school intakes, just want a better chance lol, also how bad is not so nice?? one more question how bad is the bar? and if it is bad can you go to other college bars??
Original post by ineedA
it's not snobby is it? one of the reasons i applied there is because of the high private school intakes, just want a better chance lol, also how bad is not so nice?? one more question how bad is the bar? and if it is bad can you go to other college bars??

You're going to get the odd few snobs, but you'll get them everywhere. The only couple of snobby people I met during my undergrad were all Hatfielders, but I met many more lovely ones, and you can typically avoid the ones whose attitude is unpleasant - they'll usually congregate with one another. What school you went to won't affect which college you're accepted to - it's a random algorithm. I've not seen any of the bedrooms in the college, but never heard anything bad about them. I dislike Hatfield Bar a lot compared to many of the other college bars, but it's not the worst, usually full of people even if it feels like a tin shed sometimes to me. You can usually go to other colleges bars unless they have an event on that night that only allows those from that college to use it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
You're going to get the odd few snobs, but you'll get them everywhere. The only couple of snobby people I met during my undergrad were all Hatfielders, but I met many more lovely ones, and you can typically avoid the ones whose attitude is unpleasant - they'll usually congregate with one another. What school you went to won't affect which college you're accepted to - it's a random algorithm. I've not seen any of the bedrooms in the college, but never heard anything bad about them. I dislike Hatfield Bar a lot compared to many of the other college bars, but it's not the worst, usually full of people even if it feels like a tin shed sometimes to me. You can usually go to other colleges bars unless they have an event on that night that only allows those from that college to use it.

oh dear
Reply 8

what college would you suggest?
Original post by ineedA
what college would you suggest?

If you like Hatfield, Hatfield. There's certainly nothing so wrong about it that I'd actively discourage anyone from applying to it, not least because what suited me might well be the worst possible thing for anyone else. The accommodation is decent from what I know, most people are very friendly, it's convenient, it's got some really nice buildings as part of its facilities and it seems to have a very strong JCR.

Quick Reply