The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
My course last year (I've now changed) was multidisciplinary, we did modules in psychology, philosophy and computing. Our parent department (I think that's what they called it) was computing, so although I can't tell you what it's like to a computing degree, I did do some modules.

The computing modules I did were introduction to programming, human computer interaction and cognitive science. I might not be the best person to tell you what it's like though cos I really didn't enjoy the computing stuff, especially programming...

But on the plus side, all the people in the department are lovely, all very friendly and did everything they could to help and really tried to help us settle in. The lecturers were a bit boring, but that might just be me and the people on my course cos none of us were enjoying it.

Oh, and the building you'll be in most of the time (apart from the lecture theatre) is the EC Stoner building, which is massive, and the stairs never seem to take you to the floor you want, it's a bit of a maze!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Oh, I am starting a year in Leeds as an Erasmus exchange student, I am currently at my fourth year of Computing here in Italy, and will be following some postgraduate modules (the master ones)...

I have to say that some professors with whom I talked by e-mail were very nice (I am going to prepare my MSc thesis with the supervision of a Leeds professor), I think computing is great... some people told me Leeds is quite famous for Artificial Intelligence related stuff...

Actually I am involved in a quite theoretical and abstract computing degree (mostly maths and computational theory, rather than programming and building websites, to say it shortly).

Good luck!
bye
Tommaso.
Reply 3
I can't help you with what type of jobs would be available after graduation I would also like to know that. I just wanted to pop on and say hi as I have a unconditional offer for this Sept for Information Technology at Leeds
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
In my first year now. It is not an easy course so make sure its what you want to do. And you said your good at ICT - trust me it is nothing like ICT at all. The only module you touch a computer in is the lab sessions for Programming. The rest is all theoretical

I'm loving life in Leeds but I'd make sure you are sure you want to do computing. I know 4 people who have dropped out already because it wasnt for them.

Latest