The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Recently started uni. Literally finding everything confusing.

Hiya guys! I'm in my first year of university at Northumbria Uni studying criminology and sociology, been here a couple of weeks and I have no clue what is going on. I find my lectures and seminars so confusing. When we get told what we have to do, I just sit there thinking 'Eh?' and then when I ask for help I'm still left just as confused as I was previously.

I mean, in my seminars, we have to work in groups. Everyone in my group (and all the others) seem to have an understanding of what we are meant to do and then you have me just sitting their scratching my head wondering what the **** is going on. You know that meme with the dog and the caption 'I have no idea what I'm doing'? Yeah...that's basically me. I even try my best to participate in the group work but because I have no clue as to what is going on, I tend to just sit there listening to everyone else's ideas.

And then there's the exams and essays and ****. I feel as if I haven't got a clear understanding of what I'm supposed to be doing for them; even asking for help doesn't seem to pay off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stressed or anything, I'm a pretty laid back guy, it's just that everything is so confusing and I feel as if I'm just gonna fail everything because I don't fully understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one? Any advice/tips on how to combat this problem?

p.s. I like turtles.
Reply 1
Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy
Hiya guys! I'm in my first year of university at Northumbria Uni studying criminology and sociology, been here a couple of weeks and I have no clue what is going on. I find my lectures and seminars so confusing. When we get told what we have to do, I just sit there thinking 'Eh?' and then when I ask for help I'm still left just as confused as I was previously.

I mean, in my seminars, we have to work in groups. Everyone in my group (and all the others) seem to have an understanding of what we are meant to do and then you have me just sitting their scratching my head wondering what the **** is going on. You know that meme with the dog and the caption 'I have no idea what I'm doing'? Yeah...that's basically me. I even try my best to participate in the group work but because I have no clue as to what is going on, I tend to just sit there listening to everyone else's ideas.

And then there's the exams and essays and ****. I feel as if I haven't got a clear understanding of what I'm supposed to be doing for them; even asking for help doesn't seem to pay off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stressed or anything, I'm a pretty laid back guy, it's just that everything is so confusing and I feel as if I'm just gonna fail everything because I don't fully understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one? Any advice/tips on how to combat this problem?

p.s. I like turtles.

Email your tutor(s) and ask to meet them so they can go through the things you don't understand with you. We're only in the third week, so you still have plenty of time to get a grasp on things :biggrin:
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by dp247
Email your tutor(s) and ask to meet them so they can go through the things you don't understand with you. We're only in the third week, so you still have plenty of time to get a grasp on things :biggrin:

Good idea. Thanks!
Reply 3

p.s. I like turtles.

Have you been doing the set weekly readings from the reading lists?
Reply 4
You sound like me when I first started uni lol
It's confusing at the beginning but it gets better once you read the handbook and do your own independent study.
Also make lots of friends so they can help you and explain to you what's going on. Worked for me :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by john2054
Have you been doing the set weekly readings from the reading lists?

I would but my tutors never explain what to do correctly or what to read then I end up getting confused. Also, if you're familiar with Blackboard, trying to find stuff in there is so confusing so I find it difficult to look for the things I need to go over.

One thing I should mention. I have quite a short attention span so I find it difficult to focus during lectures and seminars which makes it difficult to absorb all the information that is being given.

p.s. I like turtles.

I would find that quite alarming. Are you going to all your lectures are you doing the work set and understanding it? If not then you have an issue. Once you understand your work or section you are doing then you have soemthing to bring to the group and you can contribute.

You need to work hard and catch up , read your textx or notes and get up to speed. Talk to your tutor. The only other way is maybe get a private tutor to get up to speed. Even a second or third year who cna run through what you need to have learned.

I would be alarmed if I was as confused abd clueless as you are, so you need to sort this out asap or it will just become worse imo.
Original post by HAnwar
You sound like me when I first started uni lol
It's confusing at the beginning but it gets better once you read the handbook and do your own independent study.
Also make lots of friends so they can help you and explain to you what's going on. Worked for me :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

The friends I've made don't know what's going on either lol. Well, they do know more than me but, y'know. Also, my assignments and coursework/exams are all group based so there's not much I can do in the way of independent studying (unfortunately, I would have much preferred it).
Original post by 999tigger
I would find that quite alarming. Are you going to all your lectures are you doing the work set and understanding it? If not then you have an issue. Once you understand your work or section you are doing then you have soemthing to bring to the group and you can contribute.

You need to work hard and catch up , read your textx or notes and get up to speed. Talk to your tutor. The only other way is maybe get a private tutor to get up to speed. Even a second or third year who cna run through what you need to have learned.

I would be alarmed if I was as confused abd clueless as you are, so you need to sort this out asap or it will just become worse imo.[/

Yeah, I attend all my lectures and seminars. Regarding work set and understanding it? Not really. I will try to talk to my tutor to see if I can get some help.

Back in secondary school, I struggled with work and **** and it looks like I'm heading down the same path at uni :/
Reply 9
I would but my tutors never explain what to do correctly or what to read then I end up getting confused. Also, if you're familiar with Blackboard, trying to find stuff in there is so confusing so I find it difficult to look for the things I need to go over.

One thing I should mention. I have quite a short attention span so I find it difficult to focus during lectures and seminars which makes it difficult to absorb all the information that is being given.

Yes we had blackboard as well. The good news is that the first year doesn't matter in terms of the grades, you only have to pass of fail. But i seriously recommend you start reading, every day. You should try researching jstor and the online journals via google scholar, and what your library has to offer. Take some time to visit your universities library, go to the sociology and criminology section and go and read the contents pages and the introductions, maybe a few chapters of some of the books they have. You should also arrange a one on one with some of the unit leaders.lecturers, to ask them what books and chapters they specifically recommend. You may well find that the key/core texts have been taken out of the library at this point, but you should still be able to get some secondary reading to get your teeth in to. Also try to spend at least half an hour every day navigating black board to get you r teeth in to that as well. Some lecturers will actually upload lecture notes and readings to this intranet, and if yours have done this, try to read at least a few pages, or a chapter everyday. Other wise, go to the library and get reading material from there.

To begin with this can seem like daunting prospects, but i did it (got a 2.1 in sociology major theatre studies minor this year) and so can you. Btw what you don't want to do is just cruise by, nodding along, not doing the readings, not understanding the lectures, not talking to the lecturer and also not talking to your fellow undergraduates.

Remember university is nothing like school, because here you are expected take control of your own learning trajectory. And I appreciate it can feel like you are getting thrown in at the deep end at first. This is actually what happened to me the first time i started uni in 2009. Then i was put in hospital and started again in 2011, before i finally graduated this year. Let me know if you have any more questions thanks!? JR
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by john2054
Yes we had blackboard as well. The good news is that the first year doesn't matter in terms of the grades, you only have to pass of fail. But i seriously recommend you start reading, every day. You should try researching jstor and the online journals via google scholar, and what your library has to offer. Take some time to visit your universities library, go to the sociology and criminology section and go and read the contents pages and the introductions, maybe a few chapters of some of the books they have. You should also arrange a one on one with some of the unit leaders.lecturers, to ask them what books and chapters they specifically recommend. You may well find that the key/core texts have been taken out of the library at this point, but you should still be able to get some secondary reading to get your teeth in to. Also try to spend at least half an hour every day navigating black board to get you r teeth in to that as well. Some lecturers will actually upload lecture notes and readings to this intranet, and if yours have done this, try to read at least a few pages, or a chapter everyday. Other wise, go to the library and get reading material from there.

To begin with this can seem like daunting prospects, but i did it (got a 2.1 in sociology major theatre studies minor this year) and so can you. Btw what you don't want to do is just cruise by, nodding along, not doing the readings, not understanding the lectures, not talking to the lecturer and also not talking to your fellow undergraduates.

Remember university is nothing like school, because here you are expected take control of your own learning trajectory. And I appreciate it can feel like you are getting thrown in at the deep end at first. This is actually what happened to me the first time i started uni in 2009. Then i was put in hospital and started again in 2011, before i finally graduated this year. Let me know if you have any more questions thanks!? JR

Cheers mate. I'll try and do what you've said.
Reply 11
The friends I've made don't know what's going on either lol. Well, they do know more than me but, y'know. Also, my assignments and coursework/exams are all group based so there's not much I can do in the way of independent studying (unfortunately, I would have much preferred it).

Lol you're making the wrong friends then. You need to make friends with clever people :tongue:
Before starting your coursework you can search up the topic yourself and do reading around your subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Lol you're making the wrong friends then. You need to make friends with clever people :tongue:
Before starting your coursework you can search up the topic yourself and do reading around your subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get me wrong, they are smart, it's just the lecturers don't explain things properly and it leaves everyone confused. I'm basically the person that's being left in the dust as I'm just clueless about everything whereas the friends I've made, even though they're confused too, actually manage to think up ideas the like.
Get help ask your tutor or go to your course rep.
Don't get me wrong, they are smart, it's just the lecturers don't explain things properly and it leaves everyone confused. I'm basically the person that's being left in the dust as I'm just clueless about everything whereas the friends I've made, even though they're confused too, actually manage to think up ideas the like.

please try and do some extra reading. that is your only way out of this mess thanks
Reply 15

Yeah I have lecturers like that too. Most of the time I just think 'I can't wait to go home and go over this properly.'
It helps if you go over the topic briefly before you have your lecture, so you have a rough understanding of what's going on.
And then when you get home, go over it again and use the recommending reading list they give you to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hiya, I'm currently also studying at Northumbria, 2nd year Criminology!

If you're still having any trouble send me a message and I can try to help? I did a few sociology modules last year so I may be able to give you advice on your assignments, or point you in the right direction.

Uni is weird and confusing, but you will get used to it eventually!

Quick Reply

Latest