Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

most likely student credit card to be accepted for

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm having a slight cash flow problem at the moment as i am getting a scholarship from my course, but have only just realized that i do not get the first installment of it until December. i had counted that into my finances and am now finding myself rather short this term. I have calculated my spending and am realizing there will be a few weeks before my scholarship comes through where i may end up having no money. I figured a credit card would be a good way to tide me over through this time.
    (before people start telling me that credit cards are a bad idea, i assure you that i know what i'm doing and will more than be able to afford to pay back the money i borrow quickly. so please don't rant at me about how credit cards work because that's not what i'm asking. i have a cash flow problem, not a budgeting problem.)
    my issue is that all cards i can find seem to require you to have a regular income, even student credit cards, when surly the majority of students have no regular income (as student loans, bursaries, scholarships and holiday work do not count). i have my account with nat west but when i used the 'see if your likely to be approved' tool, it told me that it was unlikely.
    i have had an overdraft for years and have regularly gone into it and paid it off within the month, meaning i should have a decent credit score.
    i am apprehensive about applying for cards all over the place, as i am told that unsuccessful applications show on my credit report. i am wondering if anyone, in a similar situation, has been approved for a card recently or can offer any advice on what my best bet is for approval. i really do not need to borrow more than a couple of hundred pounds, and i will pay it of within a month, so low credit limit, and high APR are not of particular concern to me. Im just looking for one i am likely to be approved for.

if it helps i am 22 and live in the uk.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.