The Student Room Group

Philipine president compares himself to Hitler

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte appeared to liken himself to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler today and said he would “be happy” to exterminate three million drug users and peddlers in the country.

His comments triggered shock and anger among Jewish groups in the United States, which will add to pressure on the US government to take a tougher line with the Philippines leader. Duterte recently insulted President Barack Obama and in a series of remarks he has undermined the previously close relationship between Manila and Washington.

In a rambling speech on his arrival in Davao City after a visit to Vietnam, Duterte told reporters that he had been “portrayed to be a cousin of Hitler” by critics.

Noting that Hitler had murdered millions of Jews, Duterte said: “There are three million drug addicts (in the Philippines). I’d be happy to slaughter them.

“If Germany had Hitler, the Philippines would have...,” he said, pausing and pointing to himself.

“You know my victims. I would like (them) to be all criminals to finish the problem of my country and save the next generation from perdition.”

Duterte was voted to power in a May election on the back of a vow to end drugs and corruption in the country of 100 million people. He took office on June 30 and over 3,100 people have been killed since then, mostly alleged drug users and dealers, in police operations and in vigilante killings.

His comments were quickly condemned by Jewish groups.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, head of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s Digital Terrorism and Hate project, called them “outrageous”.

“Duterte owes the victims (of the Holocaust) an apology for his disgusting rhetoric.”

The Anti-Defamation League, an international Jewish group based in the United States, said Duterte’s comments were “shocking for their tone-deafness”.

“The comparison of drug users and dealers to Holocaust victims is inappropriate and deeply offensive,” said Todd Gutnick, the group’s director of communications. “It is baffling why any leader would want to model himself after such a monster.”

https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/357430#ixzz4LidubP1e
Dude has had his police murdering people in the streets without due process and this is what you take issue with?

Who cares what he says. It's all about what he does.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

A lot of people could stand to remember that.
Original post by HucktheForde
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte appeared to liken himself to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler today and said he would “be happy” to exterminate three million drug users and peddlers in the country.

His comments triggered shock and anger among Jewish groups in the United States, which will add to pressure on the US government to take a tougher line with the Philippines leader. Duterte recently insulted President Barack Obama and in a series of remarks he has undermined the previously close relationship between Manila and Washington.

In a rambling speech on his arrival in Davao City after a visit to Vietnam, Duterte told reporters that he had been “portrayed to be a cousin of Hitler” by critics.

Noting that Hitler had murdered millions of Jews, Duterte said: “There are three million drug addicts (in the Philippines). I’d be happy to slaughter them.

“If Germany had Hitler, the Philippines would have...,” he said, pausing and pointing to himself.

“You know my victims. I would like (them) to be all criminals to finish the problem of my country and save the next generation from perdition.”

Duterte was voted to power in a May election on the back of a vow to end drugs and corruption in the country of 100 million people. He took office on June 30 and over 3,100 people have been killed since then, mostly alleged drug users and dealers, in police operations and in vigilante killings.

His comments were quickly condemned by Jewish groups.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, head of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s Digital Terrorism and Hate project, called them “outrageous”.

“Duterte owes the victims (of the Holocaust) an apology for his disgusting rhetoric.”

The Anti-Defamation League, an international Jewish group based in the United States, said Duterte’s comments were “shocking for their tone-deafness”.

“The comparison of drug users and dealers to Holocaust victims is inappropriate and deeply offensive,” said Todd Gutnick, the group’s director of communications. “It is baffling why any leader would want to model himself after such a monster.”

https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/357430#ixzz4LidubP1e

I love the way he wants to kill every drug user, and considers himself favourably comparable to Hitler because of it, when Hitler himself was a heavy drugs user, ingesting daily cocktails of psychoactive substances, one of which was methamphetamine.
Is this the same nutjob who wants to kill all drug users? :/

Edit: Apparently so and some of the comments on here are disgusting :angry:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Opinion
I support him, I hope that he can remove the scourge of drugs from his country, and save many lives as a result.

You support the massacre of 3 million people?
If it saves more than that in the long-run, yes.

I would love to know what thought process you're going through whereby the murder of 3 million sick people is morally defensible in your mind.

Drug addicts are ill people, they need help, not killing.

I sincerely hope you're trolling otherwise I despair for your sense of empathy
I would love to know what thought process you are going though when you would rather an extra 1 million people die, just because you are not mentally strong enough.
Reply 8
This man is something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would love to know what thought process you are going though when you would rather an extra 1 million people die, just because you are not mentally strong enough.

Now I know you're trolling for definite

No sane person would say that the slaughter of 3 million people is a matter of being 'mentally strong'

Did you know that the most effective way to limit the number of total human deaths in the future would be to exterminate the entire species immediately?
Reply 11
So if I say, I want to eradicate all murderers and pedophiles like the way hitler eradicated the jews, does that make a 'Hitler sympathiser'? I think he just used Hitler as a simile and only used it in the context of war on drugs, I dont think he glorifies or looks upto Hitler.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Dude has had his police murdering people in the streets without due process and this is what you take issue with?

Who cares what he says. It's all about what he does.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

A lot of people could stand to remember that.

people voted him in because of his promise to eradicate drug lords, he was pretty open with what he planned to do with them

People are fed up with the constant gang violence and drug deaths daily

a lot of the pot smoking guardian readers don't understand just how bad the drug problem over there has been over the last 20 years, this was always inevitable.
Original post by HucktheForde

Duterte is extremely dangerous, he's completely unapologetic about sponsoring death squads to kill "drug dealers" without trial. Almost 2000 people in the 12 weeks or so he's been president. He's like a Trump on steroids; the same dangerous pseuo-populist rhetoric.

It's painful seeing Duterte doing this because Philippines has worked so hard to progress from the dark days of the Marcos dictatorship. Philippines hasn't dealt with its corruption problems, but at least its presidents were legitimately and lawfully elected.

I would not at all be surprised if he becomes a dictator.
Original post by remiremi
people voted him in because of his promise to eradicate drug lords, he was pretty open with what he planned to do with them

He promised something that was illegal. Under Philippino law, the president does not have the lawful authority to just have people killed. Any candidate for office who promises that he will kill people, his own citizens, once he gets into office is unfit for office.

By the way, it's not "drug lords" who are being killed. When it is even a dealer being killed, rather than a user or some innocent person the police wanted to bump off, it's invariably a low to mid level street dealer. In Philippines the people at the top of the drug business food chain can afford to pay the sort of bribes that make them immune from this kind of action.

a lot of the pot smoking guardian readers don't understand just how bad the drug problem over there has been over the last 20 years, this was always inevitable.

Have you ever even been to the Philippines? I have several times, and I have quite a few Pinoy friends. There has always been a drug problem in the Philippines, it's not like the problem is far worse than it was 10 or 20 years ago. Different types of drugs are being use (maybe 30 or 40 years ago, it was opium, morphine, hashish and amphetamine pills and now it's heroin and crystal methamphetamine) but the fact that large numbers of people turned to drugs is not a new phenomenon.

It's so easy for people who are credulous, gullible, perhaps not very bright, who have simplistic and crude impulses, to say, "Yeah, kill the filthy drug dealers". What will (and is) happen in reality is that some innocent people will get killed, some dealers will get killed specifically because police officers have taken a bribe from their competitors, there are people who will be not dealers but simply users; some of the most vulnerable people in society. It is absolutely disgusting and inhuman to support this programme which won't even stop the drug problem anyway (this "campaign" is pretty much copied from Thaksin Shinawatra and that campaign, despite killing around 5000 people without trial, didn't even make a dent in the Thai drug business).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by M14B
I admire his guts
Good man

So you'd be happy for one of your siblings to get killed? Because that's what always happens in these kinds of extrajudicial murder campaigns; innocent people always get caught up in it. Maybe a small business owner who has a jealous competitor, and the competitor calls in to the police a tip that the person is a drug lord.

Or they get the wrong address. Or the police take it as an opportunity to make some cash by killing people who others are willing to pay for their death, and the police say "Oh they were a drug dealer".

So, innocent people will die; if you support it, you would have to be willing to say, "I'm willing for one of my siblings to die. Or I'd personally be willing to die. It's worth it to 'kill the drug dealers'".

Or is it just that you can very happily propose these extremist, violent ideas from the comfort and safety of a first-world country 12000 miles away? Anyone who thinks that a campaign of extrajudicial killings is good for democracy is a moron.

What if someone who didn't like you called in a tip to the police saying you were a drug dealer? They turn up to your house and shoot you, and you can't do anything because you're already dead. The police claim they've won a great victory, the person who called in the tip has had you killed without having to get their hands dirty. That kind of scenario always happens when a culture of extrajudicial killings based on informants arises; maybe up to half of the tips provided by random informants are not based on any real crime but on personal animus.
Well said, dude. There's a tendency for immature right-wingers on the internet to propose really insane, extreme things because they like people thinking that they are extremely rigid / old-fashioned / uncaring. It's edgelord behaviour, and utterly pathetic.

But even that, pathetic as it is, is still preferable to someone being such a psychopath that they happily propose the murder of millions of people. And as I've pointed out above, whenever you have a culture of extrajudicial killings based on tips from informants arising in a culture, you always end up with large numbers of innocent people being killed. Up to half of the tips have nothing to do with the person being a "drug dealer", it's that the person calling in the tip doesn't like them, or is their business competitor, or is having an affair with their wife and wants them out of the way.

A Pinoy friend of mine who is a native of Manila said that there's no question that a lot of the people being killed will be from one particular cartel while the leadership of the other cartel makes payments to the local police chief. The police get to say, "Look, we're killing drug dealers" while also earning large amounts of money. He also said that a lot of people who end up dying will have nothing to do with drug dealing; they will be journalists, critics of the police or Duterte, people that individual cops want to get rid of for personal reasons. Once you open up that Pandora's Box, even if someone has the warped morality of thinking it's justifiable to extra-judicially kill drug dealers, the reality is that a very large number of those who end up dying will have nothing to do with the drug trade.

To be able to justify that, to say that it is an acceptable price that many innocent people will do for reasons of police corruption and personal animus, just so some drug dealers can also be killed... that is **** ing pathetic

Quick Reply

Latest