The Student Room Group

Te end is here: Solar Storms are on the way expect devices to fry!

Solar Storms are on the way.

If you use satellite TV it might become unusable for a while and electricity grids could go in to meltdown potentially bricking devices and if it's real bad expect electrical devices to just be fully bricked also GPS will be highly inaccurate.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/715472/Solar-storm-Earth-break-Sky-TV-mobile-phones

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3813438/Solar-storm-lights-Earth-Aurorae-glow-brighter-usual-coronal-hole-flings-debris-sun.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1881830/a-solar-storm-is-blasting-towards-earth-and-it-could-cause-chaos/
Millennium Bug much?
Sounds like sensationalist hyperbole to me. Anyway, moved to N&CA.
Reply 3
ahahahaha nah
Reply 4
Good job, you just named the three most unreliable news sources in the UK.

Their "science editors" probably didn't even get past the equivalent of GCSEs.
Reply 5
It's a total (solar) storm in a teacup. At worst, there might be a couple of brownouts and some lost/poor satellite signal.
Well if the 3 most doom-mongering newspapers in the country say so...
Reply 7
Original post by Eulers_
Good job, you just named the three most unreliable news sources in the UK.

Their "science editors" probably didn't even get past the equivalent of GCSEs.

To give credit to the Mail, their's was at least a fairly sensible article.
The GPS on my phone is already inaccurate af if my pokemon go is anything to go by, idgaf
This story may be sensationalist, but I'd like to remind people that in 1989 a huge power outage in Canada was caused by a solar wind. Many believe that such solar winds as this, and much larger ones, actually happen on the regular, but we have yet to notice the effects of them due to us relying on electricity for only such a relatively tiny amount of time.
Somebody tell OP about the magnetosphere, we very regularly get hit by solar storms, occasionally serious enough that we will feel the impact for a few hours, and rarer still that actually causes blackouts, such as the one referenced above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This happens every damn year, have people not gotta that into their heads yet?

News in April: "HEATWAVE COMING IN JUNE, HUGE ****ING HEATWAVE, Y'ALL GON' DIE."

News in October: "BIGGEST FREEZE SINCE THE ICE AGE INCOMING, EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE TESTICLES THEY'RE STILL GOING TO FREEZE AND FALL OFF."

News at some random point in the year: "SOLAR WINDS, SUNSPOTS, RADIATION FROM OUTER SPACE, UNLESS YOU'RE A COCKROACH YOU'RE COMPLETELY ****ED."

I guess sensationalism sells better than actual news.
I love the sources you've quoted in support of this statement. The Daily Mail or Sun are hardly oracles of the truth and as for the Daily Express... They only have 3 stories: immigrants murdering babies and eating them, Princess Diana or Madeline McCann and the weather.
solar shmolar
The Express reports about the weather constantly, usually doom-mongering from dubious weather 'forcecasters' (James Madden/Exacta Weather being the usual source) about how we are going to have the 'worst winter in a billion years!'. Their audience is largely pensioners and scaring them about how they might need to put their heating on a bit in the winter is apparently a good way to get them to buy the paper.

They did this last year and the UK ended up with the warmest December since records began...

The only difference this time is that they are writing about solar weather.
Reply 15
Well guys.This is the end.

It has been a pleasure :smile:

[video="youtube;_RcVzevWX4U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcVzevWX4U[/video]
ohhh so that's why my wifi is ****.

I thought it was you, laptop.

No of course not bb (kiss)
Reply 17
Original post by Reality Check
I love the sources you've quoted in support of this statement. The Daily Mail or Sun are hardly oracles of the truth and as for the Daily Express... They only have 3 stories: immigrants murdering babies and eating them, Princess Diana or Madeline McCann and the weather.

Original post by ManiaMuse
The Express reports about the weather constantly, usually doom-mongering from dubious weather 'forcecasters' (James Madden/Exacta Weather being the usual source) about how we are going to have the 'worst winter in a billion years!'. Their audience is largely pensioners and scaring them about how they might need to put their heating on a bit in the winter is apparently a good way to get them to buy the paper.

They did this last year and the UK ended up with the warmest December since records began...

The only difference this time is that they are writing about solar weather.

You guys are forgetting about their daily weather girl stories. :/

Quick Reply

Latest