The Student Room Group

What is my finance situation here?

I withdrew from my second year of a degree at University A in June of this year - I applied successfully and I'm now directly entering in to second year of a degree in the same subject at University B next month.

I've received two years worth of funding whilst at University A, and now have two further years to go before graduating. What is my situation here? Will I be able to receive tuition/maintenance loan for these two years or will I have to self-fund part of it?

Help would be appreciated.
First of all, hopefully you have applied as a new student (If you 100% withdrew last year)or it will cause lots of issues for you in the future.

Now this is a question it's better phoning in and asking student finance as they can see if you put down any other previous study, but going by what you have put you have said you only have 2 years of prev study.

If you withdrew from the second year you would have 2 years of finance remaining including the gift year, So starting a new university from the second year you would get full funding for 2nd and 3rd years.

HOWEVER - if you had to start from year 1 again then it would be 3 years needed to complete year course therefore you have have to self fund unless you send compelling personal reasons (Can explain more into CPR if you are going into the first year but as you stated second year there is no point)
Reply 2
Original post by murpo
First of all, hopefully you have applied as a new student (If you 100% withdrew last year)or it will cause lots of issues for you in the future.

Now this is a question it's better phoning in and asking student finance as they can see if you put down any other previous study, but going by what you have put you have said you only have 2 years of prev study.

If you withdrew from the second year you would have 2 years of finance remaining including the gift year, So starting a new university from the second year you would get full funding for 2nd and 3rd years.

HOWEVER - if you had to start from year 1 again then it would be 3 years needed to complete year course therefore you have have to self fund unless you send compelling personal reasons (Can explain more into CPR if you are going into the first year but as you stated second year there is no point)

I made an annoying mistake when I first applied for 2016/17 finance - I applied as a continuing student online. After receiving a letter saying my finance has been stopped I called up and was advised to send in a PN1 form, which I have done. I got another letter today saying that I'm not eligible for tuition or maintenance loans because I'm studying for a course that's 'equal to or lower than a qualification I already have', however won't I be studying for a course that's higher than the qualification I have? I'm also not sure if this letter is referring to my first application when I applied as a returning student.

I'm definitely going to give them a call tomorrow - thanks for replying!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DannyYYYY
I made an annoying mistake when I first applied for 2016/17 finance - I applied as a continuing student online. After receiving a letter saying my finance has been stopped I called up and was advised to send in a PN1 form, which I have done. I got another letter today saying that I'm not eligible for tuition or maintenance loans because I'm studying for a course that's 'equal to or lower than a qualification I already have', however won't I be studying for a course that's higher than the qualification I have? I'm also not sure if this letter is referring to my first application when I applied as a returning student.

I'm definitely going to give them a call tomorrow - thanks for replying!

You must of put that you studied and achieved a degree in the previous study section?

Have you ever achieved a university degree before ? **
Reply 4
Original post by murpo
You must of put that you studied and achieved a degree in the previous study section?

That's a possibility - I don't have a degree, the highest qualification I've been awarded is a certificate of higher education (in the subject I'm studying) from my old university. I'm starting to think there's been a mess-up somewhere with me accidentally submitting two applications, one as a continuing student and one as a new student. Either that or I actually am not eligible for loans :eek:
That's a possibility - I don't have a degree, the highest qualification I've been awarded is a certificate of higher education (in the subject I'm studying) from my old university. I'm starting to think there's been a mess-up somewhere with me accidentally submitting two applications, one as a continuing student and one as a new student. Either that or I actually am not eligible for loans :eek:

You will be fine and they will pay for the rest of your course. You have simply ised your gift year.

submitting two apps wouldn't of triggered it. You definitely put something in the previous study section.

Phone SFE tomorrow (open 9 til 4) and see what is going on because you are definitely ok for funding based on what you have told me. If it is a previous study mistake then you would have to send in a cover letter to explain it was a mistake.

If you do have to send a cover letter, that will take around 14 working days to get reviewed by an assessor, so if your wondering when you will be getting funding it sounds like it's not going to be until at least the end of October (if you have to send any cover letter or evidence)*
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
You will be fine and they will pay for the rest of your course. You have simply ised your gift year.

Original post by murpo
submitting two apps wouldn't of triggered it. You definitely put something in the previous study section.

Phone SFE tomorrow (open 9 til 4) and see what is going on because you are definitely ok for funding based on what you have told me. If it is a previous study mistake then you would have to send in a cover letter to explain it was a mistake.

If you do have to send a cover letter, that will take around 14 working days to get reviewed by an assessor, so if your wondering when you will be getting funding it sounds like it's not going to be until at least the end of October (if you have to send any cover letter or evidence)*

Just called them and they've told me all is okay - the letter saying I'm not eligibile was sent by mistake (or possibly as a result of me putting something incorrect in the previous study section in my first application) and my PN1 form is still being assessed. What a relief!

Thank you both for replying, it's appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just called them and they've told me all is okay - the letter saying I'm not eligibile was sent by mistake (or possibly as a result of me putting something incorrect in the previous study section in my first application) and my PN1 form is still being assessed. What a relief!

Thank you both for replying, it's appreciated.

Good to hear

Did you ask if there was anything you needed to send in at all*
Original post by murpo

Sorry to interrupt, I'm in a similar situation to the OP, have done 2 years and have 2 years left and I have a CertHE. I'm applying to get a year of funding re-instated/ dismissed on Compelling person reasons grounds. If it is successful would I be allowed to do my first year again?
Hi

You have done 2 years doing what course and what qualification *? I assume your Cert he is from a different course?

Or your course in total is 4 years long?

If you can give me some better information then I'll be able to give you an accurate answer.

- what have you been studying for 2 years
- why did you have to stop studying after two years
- when you return what year of the course will you be going back into
- when did you get the cert he
- what qualification are you studying at the moment is it a ba hons **

Feel free to PM me it might be easier than posting*
Original post by murpo
Hi

You have done 2 years doing what course and what qualification *? I assume your Cert he is from a different course?

Or your course in total is 4 years long?

If you can give me some better information then I'll be able to give you an accurate answer.

- what have you been studying for 2 years
- why did you have to stop studying after two years
- when you return what year of the course will you be going back into
- when did you get the cert he
- what qualification are you studying at the moment is it a ba hons **

Feel free to PM me it might be easier than posting*

I did two years studying an MChem Chemistry course and I left in my second year due to more bereavement. (I had a bereavement in my first year too but I don't think it would be serious enough for SFE to consider it)

-I studied Chemistry
-Personal reasons (bereavement)
-2017 or 2018 depending on my a-level resit results
-I got it in 2015
-None atm
Ok so previously 2 years mcchem

What are you going to study now though? What course and what's the total length of the course and are you starting from year 1 again
Original post by murpo
Ok so previously 2 years mcchem

What are you going to study now though? What course and what's the total length of the course and are you starting from year 1 again

I'm thinking of studying either Medicinal Chemistry or Biological Chemistry (depending on which university I get into) as a 4 year course (with one of those being an industrial placement year self financed)
ok thanks I understand now(excuse my grammar or any mistakes, I'm on my phone)*

Firstly forget the cert he as that affects nothing as it's a lower qualification

So your eligibility is

4+1-2=3

That means 4 years is your new course and plus a gift year, takeaway your two years of previous study doing the mchem gives you 3 years of funding remaining.

So what that means *you get 3 years of full funding but you must self fund in your first year of your new course.

Self fund means they will pay maintenance loan but you won't get any tuition fees.

If you send in compelling personal reasons then you can get full funding for 4 years instead of 3 l.

For compelling personal reasons you need to send in a cover letter explaining what happened, how it affected you etc and also attach professional evidence, as you mentioned bereavement this can be a death certificate but send is as much stuff as possible so try get a tutor or someone from the university to give you a letter

I hope this helps, sorry for the bad formatting as I'm on mobile.

So just to clarify - you would have 3 years of funding available for a full time course and would have to self fund first year unless you send CPR

If you need further help, let me know.

Cheers *
Original post by murpo
ok thanks I understand now(excuse my grammar or any mistakes, I'm on my phone)*

Firstly forget the cert he as that affects nothing as it's a lower qualification

So your eligibility is

4+1-2=3

That means 4 years is your new course and plus a gift year, takeaway your two years of previous study doing the mchem gives you 3 years of funding remaining.

So what that means *you get 3 years of full funding but you must self fund in your first year of your new course.

Self fund means they will pay maintenance loan but you won't get any tuition fees.

If you send in compelling personal reasons then you can get full funding for 4 years instead of 3 l.

For compelling personal reasons you need to send in a cover letter explaining what happened, how it affected you etc and also attach professional evidence, as you mentioned bereavement this can be a death certificate but send is as much stuff as possible so try get a tutor or someone from the university to give you a letter

I hope this helps, sorry for the bad formatting as I'm on mobile.

So just to clarify - you would have 3 years of funding available for a full time course and would have to self fund first year unless you send CPR

If you need further help, let me know.

Cheers *

Thank you murpo, I still have just one more question though, a user on here told me that even if I managed to get CPR accepted I wouldn't be able to get first year funded again anyway because I already have a CertHE so I would need to fund myself through my first year again anyway?

With respect to my CPR application I have copies of death certificates on both years and one of my lecturers is writing me a letter citing various evidence and conversations I had with my personal tutor throughout my second year. Do you think this would be enough or should I get my manager at work to also write a letter detailing how upset I was also even though they aren't professionals as such?

Sorry to keep harassing you, I just want to be certain. I really appreciate all this btw :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
firstly, your not harassing. If you need help, continuing asking and I'll continue helping

secondly certhe is a lower qualification - it doesn't get taken into account. You can get funding for lower qualifications then move to a high qualification as you did as long as you don't study and have an ELQ which you don't as you only got 2 years into your last mchem course.

Forget about your cert he.

With the info you have told me you have 3 years entitlement remaining. If your CPR gets accepted then you will get 4 years full funding for your new 4 year course (As long as it's not lower or equivalent to a cert he which it isn't)
Your CPR evidence sounds perfect. Send as many things as possible. CPR evidence takes around 13 days to get looked at so send it asap if you are looking to get funding in place.

If you have any further questions or need further help then just let me know, I'm happy to assist.

Quick Reply

Latest