The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Isn't the UVM website the same as the uni website? Hmmm I'm confused! Also on one of the websites it says that with your applications you need a reciept from payment of the application fee? How do we go about paying this fee and how much is it even??
IMS/Medstudy is an intermediary (i think thats the right word) and help you with applying and provide reps to talk to etc and have a slightly different application form to the university one.
The application fee is only for if you apply though IMS and you pay it using the instructions on the website (bank transfer to the account named) and your bank will give you a receipt for this. it is €165 before May and €180 after may. your bank will sort out how you pay in euros with a uk account so that part isn't a problem. then once you are accepted you pay the registration fee.
If you don't want to pay this fee go direct to the uni and you then only have to pay the registration fee once you've been accepted.
Reply 62
Oh ok thanks!
Do you mean the application form on the medstudy website? the personal questionnaire thing? I can open it ok and its not gappy. I dont know whether to apply thru medstudy or not, seems a bit of a waste to pay 165 euros if i dont have to cos thats like £150 at the moment, but then applying thry the uni website...i dont know...what are other people doing?
it's sending off a form either way you do it (and they are pretty similar too) so I'd say go direct and print the one from the uni website, saving youreself £150, and send it to nicol unless you like having a rep to talk to (use the irish one from the medstudy website). or just ask me :biggrin: just don't expect fast replies whichever way you do it. slovak post is slooooow sometimes and so is nicol!
cool thanks, im all up for saving £150 and not toooo fussed about a rep, i emailed then before and they didnt reply anyway! If it didnt work ive got till may to apply thru ims anyway so i tink its the best idea, thanks :smile:

did anyone just watch elf on tv? it was sooo good haha xx
HannahUVM
it's sending off a form either way you do it (and they are pretty similar too) so I'd say go direct and print the one from the uni website, saving youreself £150, and send it to nicol unless you like having a rep to talk to (use the irish one from the medstudy website). or just ask me :biggrin: just don't expect fast replies whichever way you do it. slovak post is slooooow sometimes and so is nicol!

Hello again! Just been printing off all the forms today and filling them in, got my transcript and everything, very scary! However, im very confused with this medical form, do you have to pay your doctor to fill it in? My flatmates mums a doctor, i might see if i can get it on the sly...
Reply 67
Ooh your so organised! I've not done anything yet! Therefore I am no help to you whatsoever! You probably have to pay for it though, is it £15 or something? I may just be making that up though! Maybe just ring up your docs and enquire? Then you can always get it slyly done once you know what you need!

Have you done your CV thingy yet? What are you putting on yours? I'm not sure how much detail to go into regarding w/e and stuff!
Rachey123
Ooh your so organised! I've not done anything yet! Therefore I am no help to you whatsoever! You probably have to pay for it though, is it £15 or something? I may just be making that up though! Maybe just ring up your docs and enquire? Then you can always get it slyly done once you know what you need!

Have you done your CV thingy yet? What are you putting on yours? I'm not sure how much detail to go into regarding w/e and stuff!

Alright Speedy! Just sitting waiting for me to talk are you? haha, have you got msn? im [email protected] just add me if you want, might be easier to chat about it!
Reply 69
I think you'll find I took a good 15mins! Jeez! Okies I shall add away!
oh just so you know, don't bother getting things notarised in england. just wait until you get here and she will send you to get it done and it costs literally a pound or two whereas in england it's a big deal and costs a bit (i got mine done by a notar friend of my uncle so i dont know how much).
Well i just posted my application off, all very scary! Was just wondering if anyone else has applied?
Reply 72
i really want to apply, but im only in my first year of uni so surely there's no point until i hit my second year and by then i might aswell finish my degree here!

Bad times, i just want to go now!
or if you apply now you can just do the six year course and you'd finish at the same time as you would if youd finished your degree then done the 4 year course. however i say keep going and do the degree anyway. i like having a back up.
Reply 74
yeah, plus if i do it as a after i'd have 2 degrees over the same time period instead of one!
Reply 75
HannahUVM

Dear Hannah UVM

Thanks for all your posts! They've been really useful in gaining a sense of what its like studying at UVM, because its pretty difficult to get information from elsewhere!!

I am applying to Kosice to study the 6 year veterinary medicine course, to start this year, September 2009, and am coming to visit Kosice this half term, which I've been told is very beautiful!!

I wanted to ask you, since you've been there for a while already, whether there are any nice places to visit in Kosice that you could recommend. I know its probably pretty busy trying to work and explore the city at the same time, but I'm sure you have a much better idea than I do!

Also, as I'm from London, do you know how many people (roughly) from England go to the course? Also, is it possible to keep a dog in the dorms, and do people do it even if its technically not allowed?

Thanks again!
Hi MioAsaria
There are a lot of nice places in and around the city to visit. I'd say maybe get a bus out of town to the zoo which is only 10 minutes and will give you an idea about what the surrounding area is like. It's also got a ski slope there if you fancy that. If you want to go further away then perhaps take a trip to the Tatra mountains which are a few hours on the train. The main sites to see in the city are in the main street so all in a nice small area. There are lots of nice walks in the hills around the city too, especially one up to the old castle.
In my year there are 4 people on the course from England. There are generally more Irish than English but everyone is very social and mix together regardless of nationality. It's great for holidays abroad in the future.
It is definitely possible to keep a dog in the dorms. It's not technically allowed but lots do. There are people with mice and rats, cats and dogs of all shapes and sizes (even an enormous Bernese mountain dog!!! The rooms are quite big but I wouldn't go that far.
If you are there at a weekend of a day when I'm not busy would you like a guided tour around the uni?
Hannah
Reply 77
Thanks so much for your speedy reply!!

I'm coming THIS WEEKEND with my mother (sorry if this seems so sudden, its just that my half term starts after school ends tomorrow!) and I've spoken to someone at the uni admin that's promised to take me around.

However, if it is still possible and you are free (please don't worry about it if you're busy, I understand that this is very short notice!) I'd very much like to meet you, as someone who is studying the course, and hear about the ins and outs of things from you. Are you there at the moment? Also, I very much would like to keep a dog, but I'm veering away from the Great Dane kinda of size, so I shouldn't worry too much.

What are the dorms like? And how much are they costing you roughly per month?

Also, is the weather below freezing at the moment, I don't know what to pack!
I'm still in England at the moment but I fly back on Saturday. I could meet with you on Sunday or maybe Monday (I don't know my timetable yet).
The dorms look fairly rough to be perfectly honest but they aren't as bad as they look. They are perfectly comfortable and have much larger rooms than you would ever get in the UK. I was paying 3400 SK a month which was about £90. I'm not sure what it will be now they are in Euros but I guess it will be about €100-110 a month.
It looks like it is around freezing and snowy at the moment so pack warm. It was warm last week though according to one of my friends who is back already.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4505
Reply 79
Yea, thanks for the advice. Looking at the temperatures you sent- I really will need to pack warm! I'm not really worried about the quality of dorms really, just the room size is important. Also, do you have to share bathrooms?

Also, are you able to remain in your dorm room for the whole time that you're studying at UVM? I think it might be difficult to find other accommodation especially since I don't have a grasp of Slovak. Sunday is good for us if you're able to meet us, I'd be really grateful!

I'm flying out to Slovakia on the Saturday too, and we're booked into a hotel in Kosice. I'm really excited! Hey, maybe we're on the same flight! I'm flying out from Luton at 3:30 in the afternoon. Its probably unlikely, but you never know!

Thanks again for the really fast reply!!

Latest

Trending

Trending