The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's/A level predictions good enough for Oxford?

Hi guys,
I know you probably get loads of these questions, but its something that has been on my mind for a while and I really need some advice.

I'm applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford, its been my dream since literally year 8 and ill be absolutely devastated if I don't get in. I achieved 5 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE, I'm aware this isn't the best set of results, but I did go to a poor achieving state schools who's average A*-C was 43% (well below the national average) and I achieved the highest grades in my year.

I'm currently in my second year of A level, currently studying Maths, History, English Literature and Economics. I did an AS in creative writing too and achieved an A and I'm currently doing an EPQ too. As the A level structure has changed, none of my subjects had AS exams and therefore uni's only have my predicted grades to go off. I'm currently predicted:
Maths: A
English Literature: A
Economics: A
History: A
EPQ: A*
Creative Writing AS: A

My school are being very strict on not predicting any A* grades as they are worried they won't be achieved and I am worried this will seriously hinder my application. I would be super grateful if anyone could give me some advice on what to do and whether you think its realistically worth it for me to apply.

Thank you so much!
They look fine. Are you sure you want to take so many subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by sammelisa
Hi guys,
I know you probably get loads of these questions, but its something that has been on my mind for a while and I really need some advice.

I'm applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford, its been my dream since literally year 8 and ill be absolutely devastated if I don't get in. I achieved 5 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE, I'm aware this isn't the best set of results, but I did go to a poor achieving state schools who's average A*-C was 43% (well below the national average) and I achieved the highest grades in my year.

I'm currently in my second year of A level, currently studying Maths, History, English Literature and Economics. I did an AS in creative writing too and achieved an A and I'm currently doing an EPQ too. As the A level structure has changed, none of my subjects had AS exams and therefore uni's only have my predicted grades to go off. I'm currently predicted:
Maths: A
English Literature: A
Economics: A
History: A
EPQ: A*
Creative Writing AS: A

My school are being very strict on not predicting any A* grades as they are worried they won't be achieved and I am worried this will seriously hinder my application. I would be super grateful if anyone could give me some advice on what to do and whether you think its realistically worth it for me to apply.

Thank you so much!

Don't you have AS results for Maths?
Reply 3
I'm only taking 4 and an EPQ, that's relatively average isn't it?
Reply 4
Original post by mathcon
Don't you have AS results for Maths?

Nope, no AS maths result!
Original post by sammelisa
Hi guys,

Thank you so much!

Our advice is to apply - better to work on your PS and look at the TSA than worry about grades (which are fine, based on what you say in the post).
I'm assuming this is long past the point of helping, but Oxbridge don't care if you do a 4th if your first 3 a levels are trash. For anyone else reading this thread, drop an A level. It isn't worth doing 4

Quick Reply

Latest