The Student Room Group

Presentation advice

-----------------
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lay-Z
For a reserved person who has never had to give a presentation throughout uni, and struggled when required to give a 60 second group presentation during an assessment centre; what advice would you give?
Should I practise talking to the mirror or something?

Also is it possible a awful presentation would be overlooked by exceptional numerical scores and CV/interview?

Giving a presentation and public speaking is all mental. I'm sure you know what a good presentation looks like. A clear voice and talking slowly mainly. Now if you know what it requires for a good presentation, ask yourself why you can't do this. I'm quite sure you have the ability to do a good presentation, at the end of the day they're quite simple. Now you know in your head that you have the abilities to do it, stop telling yourself you can only give terrible presentations and start telling yourself that yes you can. You can do it, believe in yourself a bit more.
Practice.
If you're berating yourself about this before you've given your speech for real, or after you give your speech to "nobody", then yeah I'd agree it's a mental problem of yours

Quick Reply