The Student Room Group

Further maths Fp2 vs fp3

I want to do as further maths but i will be self studying and fp2 looks very long, how hard would fp3 be? and how long?

If i dont take fp3 my option would be d1 (which i think might be boring)
Reply 1
Original post by NatoHeadshot
I want to do as further maths but i will be self studying and fp2 looks very long, how hard would fp3 be? and how long?

Depends which board for edexcel the order of difficulty is as such: d1 fp2 fp3
Original post by mathcon
Depends which board for edexcel the order of difficulty is as such: d1 fp2 fp3

if i were to do c1-c4 m1-m2 and fp1 along with fp2/or fp3
would i be getting Edexcel maths qualification (9371) and Edexcel Advanced GCE pure maths (9373)

I do undertand if i took three extra modules like fp1 s1 and fp2 id get AS further maths but what if i just took 2 extra modules would i qualify for advanced pure maths qualification as well and get a certificate or anything

I hope you can clear this doubt as it is for my university application 1.JPG
Attachment not found
would i be getting Edexcel maths qualification (9371) and Edexcel Advanced GCE pure maths (9373)

I do undertand if i took three extra modules like fp1 s1 and fp2 id get AS further maths but what if i just took 2 extra modules would i qualify for advanced pure maths qualification as well and get a certificate or anything

I hope you can clear this doubt as it is for my university application 1.JPG
Attachment not found

nah you cant use the same modules for two different qualifications, you are much better off just sitting maths and further maths rather than pure maths
Original post by DylanJ42
nah you cant use the same modules for two different qualifications, you are much better off just sitting maths and further maths rather than pure maths

which modules are you saying id be using for two qualifcations? m1 and m2 would be for my normal maths qualification but fp series would be for advanced pure math?

I hope you can clear this doubt as it is for my university application

You need six modules for full a level certificate. As has been stated earlier. You can not get two qualifications by just doing eight modules. But if you did 9 modules then you could get A levels in mathematics and AS in further mathematics. (This could be the modules you mentioned + any other e.g. D1. You need 12 modules for two full certificates as modules can't overlap. Just forget about Pure Mathematics for the moment.
which modules are you saying id be using for two qualifcations? m1 and m2 would be for my normal maths qualification but fp series would be for advanced pure math?

So you're doing C1-C4, m1-m2, fp1 and lets say fp2. Imo youd be better asking your exams officier to put you in to sit Maths alevel and further maths AS and then do one extra module so youd have

Maths: c1-c4, m1+m2
Further maths AS: Fp1, Fp2 + one extra

If you ask to be put in to sit the pure maths alevel you'll have;

Pure maths; C1-C4. fp1, fp2
"Wasted modules": m1+m2

although reading the box for Additional further maths maybe m1 + m2 can go towards it so im 80% sure the way it works means you have a choice of doing;

Maths: c1-c4, m1+m2
Further maths AS: Fp1, Fp2 + one extra

or

Pure maths; C1-C4. fp1, fp2
As additional further maths: m1, m2 + one extra module

assuming you'll do an extra module to get an AS, if not then you may as well just sit 6 (or 7 if you want an insurance module)

but what im saying is you CANT do

Maths: c1-c4, m1, m2
Pure maths: c1-c4, fp1, fp2

as youll be using c1-c4 twice.

You either choose between doing maths alevel or pure maths alevel

also if you do pure maths alevel youll use fp1 so you cant get any sort of further maths alevel either

basically dont do the pure maths alevel
Reply 8

FP3 OVER D1 ANYDAY. We've kinda finished out first fp3 topic on vectors and its definitely possible to teach yourself. For me, i hate d1 lol...Plus fp3 is MUCH more interesting and useful!
I'm planning in self-studying for an international Further Maths A-level at Edexcel and my second option is at CIE cambridge or something like that.

Anyway, I've already studied S1 and I'm going to do D1 in school. Edexcel requires six units, so I'm thinking of doing, S1, S2, FP1, FP3, D1, M1 - this still means I've gotta self-study S2, FP1, FP3, D1, M1 since I have not done D1. But I figure S2 will follow on nicely from S1 and it is also assumed knowledge for the CIE board.
For CIE, you need to know M1, M2, S1, S2, FP1, FP3.

If for some reason something fails at Edexcel, at least I know that I can try CIE because for edexcel you can do either FP3 or FP2, so if I study FP3, I can still try the other exam board.

Anyway, some people think FP3 is just as hard as FP2, but I would go for FP3 because of the reason above. I'm doing M1 over S3/FP2 purely because it is needed for CIE and I imagine it would be easier than S3/FP2.
Original post by Kiritsugu
I'm planning in self-studying for an international Further Maths A-level at Edexcel and my second option is at CIE cambridge or something like that.

Anyway, I've already studied S1 and I'm going to do D1 in school. Edexcel requires six units, so I'm thinking of doing, S1, S2, FP1, FP3, D1, M1 - this still means I've gotta self-study S2, FP1, FP3, D1, M1 since I have not done D1. But I figure S2 will follow on nicely from S1 and it is also assumed knowledge for the CIE board.
For CIE, you need to know M1, M2, S1, S2, FP1, FP3.

If for some reason something fails at Edexcel, at least I know that I can try CIE because for edexcel you can do either FP3 or FP2, so if I study FP3, I can still try the other exam board.

Anyway, some people think FP3 is just as hard as FP2, but I would go for FP3 because of the reason above. I'm doing M1 over S3/FP2 purely because it is needed for CIE and I imagine it would be easier than S3/FP2.

are you going to be doing further maths all in one year ( this year)?and what other subjets do you take and for what course are you applying, have you already decided on your unis?sorry for being nosy
are you going to be doing further maths all in one year ( this year)?and what other subjets do you take and for what course are you applying, have you already decided on your unis?sorry for being nosy

I am currently doing A-level maths, bio, comp, in my second year. I'm thinking of applying for a bio/computing related course or maybe just biomed.

I think if I asked my school, they could let me get a qualification in AS FM by attending classes with the Year 12s and learning FP1 although it is a bit late I'd presume. But I can't get the A2 FM qualification simply because of there not being enough time and I've missed quite a bit already it wouldn't be feasible.

I first realised that for a certain course at Imperial College London, they expect you to take Further Maths at A-level - yeah thanks for telling me that after I'm so far ahead - and while I don't really have any intentions of going there, I am quite good at maths so I think a further maths A-level might look quite good - but more importantly I want to maybe apply the knowledge learned later in life, so although even if I studied Decision Maths 2 and won't be able to use it as one of the 6 modules needed, it is good for computer science.

Anyway, I've kind of decided on my Unis - Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds. But that could change.

Any further questions?
Original post by Kiritsugu
I am currently doing A-level maths, bio, comp, in my second year. I'm thinking of applying for a bio/computing related course or maybe just biomed.

I think if I asked my school, they could let me get a qualification in AS FM by attending classes with the Year 12s and learning FP1 although it is a bit late I'd presume. But I can't get the A2 FM qualification simply because of there not being enough time and I've missed quite a bit already it wouldn't be feasible.

I first realised that for a certain course at Imperial College London, they expect you to take Further Maths at A-level - yeah thanks for telling me that after I'm so far ahead - and while I don't really have any intentions of going there, I am quite good at maths so I think a further maths A-level might look quite good - but more importantly I want to maybe apply the knowledge learned later in life, so although even if I studied Decision Maths 2 and won't be able to use it as one of the 6 modules needed, it is good for computer science.

Anyway, I've kind of decided on my Unis - Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds. But that could change.

Any further questions?

So youve decided on either doing AS or A2 further maths?
So youve decided on either doing AS or A2 further maths?

I guess my plan at the moment is to enter as a private candidate to do International Further Maths exams and I guess it's going to be the full qualification given that I'm planning on studying 6 modules.
Original post by kj5576
FP3 OVER D1 ANYDAY. We've kinda finished out first fp3 topic on vectors and its definitely possible to teach yourself. For me, i hate d1 lol...Plus fp3 is MUCH more interesting and useful!

are you doing edexcel and could you do fp3 without fp2?
Reply 15
are you doing edexcel and could you do fp3 without fp2?

Yup i'm doing edexcel. I don't know if you need fp2 for fp3. But if you're gonna choose between the 2, go for fp2 as it's much more essential.

Quick Reply

Latest