The Student Room Group

Finance as a graduate student on UG medicine

I'm looking to apply to some 5 year courses in addition to one or two GEM, but wanted to clarify funding.

My fifth option is most likely going to be the foundation year (year 0) at Bradford for entry to Leeds, but I'm not sure if I would be entitled to maintenance loan for this year as its not strictly classed as a medicine degree?

Does anyone know if for 6 year courses grads get loans to cover living costs or is it purely 5 year courses (with the 5th funded by NHS)?

I'm looking to ring SF today but wanted to put this out there as I've had mixed info from SF before :/

Scroll to see replies

I doubt they do...funding for grads is already limited as it is.

Best bet would be to ring SF but they can be super unreliable. Maybe ring them a few times and see what response they give you each time? :?
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
I'm looking to apply to some 5 year courses in addition to one or two GEM, but wanted to clarify funding.

My fifth option is most likely going to be the foundation year (year 0) at Bradford for entry to Leeds, but I'm not sure if I would be entitled to maintenance loan for this year as its not strictly classed as a medicine degree?

Does anyone know if for 6 year courses grads get loans to cover living costs or is it purely 5 year courses (with the 5th funded by NHS)?

I'm looking to ring SF today but wanted to put this out there as I've had mixed info from SF before :/

AFAIK the funding kicks in in your fifth year, regardless if it is a 5 or 6 year course. So you should have two funded years at the end. Its still £36k to find up front though, and I'm not always sure if medicine is still financially viable enough to encourage people to take that route.
Original post by NafNaf39
I doubt they do...funding for grads is already limited as it is.

Best bet would be to ring SF but they can be super unreliable. Maybe ring them a few times and see what response they give you each time? :?

I know :frown: I had so much trouble with them as an UG. The thing is when you ring SF in my experience, they're unwilling to put what they've said on the phone in writing. In my case they didn't document what was discussed in calls so I would have one person saying is be getting X and another the next day saying the complete opposite with no documentation to back anything up :frown:. I'll give them a ring, but wanted to see what others said first. Thanks!
[QUOTE=ForestCat;67837822]AFAIK the funding kicks in in your fifth year, regardless if it is a 5 or 6 year course. So you should have two funded years at the end. Its still £36k to find up front though, and I'm not always sure if medicine is still financially viable enough to encourage people to take that route.

Ah I didn't know that! I know it's a lot of money to cough up :frown: I have some savings and a small inheritance that will help but by no means cover the tuition so I'll be working a shift a week in my non clinical years (should I get in!). Any idea if this would be the case with Bradford/Leeds as if not I'll be better leaving my fifth choice blank.
I know :frown: I had so much trouble with them as an UG. The thing is when you ring SF in my experience, they're unwilling to put what they've said on the phone in writing. In my case they didn't document what was discussed in calls so I would have one person saying is be getting X and another the next day saying the complete opposite with no documentation to back anything up :frown:. I'll give them a ring, but wanted to see what others said first. Thanks!

I've had the same exact issue and it's so annoying.

Maybe try contacting the unis fees department? Might be a long shot but worth a try to see if they have any info on it.

Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ForestCat
AFAIK the funding kicks in in your fifth year, regardless if it is a 5 or 6 year course. So you should have two funded years at the end. Its still £36k to find up front though, and I'm not always sure if medicine is still financially viable enough to encourage people to take that route.

Yeah but she's a grad so funding is even more complicated. :frown:
Just got off the phone to SF and they said you can get funding for six year courses/foundation year! However I fear it was too easy for SF standards - so I'll be ringing later on to confirm with someone else! 😁
Ah I didn't know that! I know it's a lot of money to cough up :frown: I have some savings and a small inheritance that will help but by no means cover the tuition so I'll be working a shift a week in my non clinical years (should I get in!). Any idea if this would be the case with Bradford/Leeds as if not I'll be better leaving my fifth choice blank.

The thing is it will progress to a five year course, so it will work out that you need to pay the same overall, regardless of whether year 0 is funded. Have you really thought what it will mean to do a 6 year course? That is a lot of time at uni and medicine is a hard slog, particularly if you're going to have to be stressing about working alongside to pay for it.

Please make sure you can pay the whole £36k. Sadly, universities have no qualms about kicking med students out if they can no longer pay.

Original post by NafNaf39
Yeah but she's a grad so funding is even more complicated. :frown:

Yes, I'm aware. Thats why I said she would need to find the £36k :smile:

You can't get SFE loans to cover 5/ 6 year medicine if you already hold a degree according to current rules. You will have to find £36,000 or stick with GEM courses
[QUOTE=ForestCat;67838280]The thing is it will progress to a five year course, so it will work out that you need to pay the same overall, regardless of whether year 0 is funded. Have you really thought what it will mean to do a 6 year course? That is a lot of time at uni and medicine is a hard slog, particularly if you're going to have to be stressing about working alongside to pay for it.

Please make sure you can pay the whole £36k. Sadly, universities have no qualms about kicking med students out if they can no longer pay.

Yes, I'm aware. Thats why I said she would need to find the £36k :smile:

The 6 year course is my fifth option so in an ideal world I'd get onto GEM (uckat is on Monday so it depends on the score if I'll be applying to any GEM).

I can afford the fees but I'm by no means rich - hence praying for a high enough ukcat for Warwick! What would you say is the lowest score I could apply there with? I emailed the uni about whether they take into account the whole application when considering interviews but I didn't get the best response.
Yes I'm aware of having to pay my own tuition, my question was about maintenance loans :smile:
The 6 year course is my fifth option so in an ideal world I'd get onto GEM (uckat is on Monday so it depends on the score if I'll be applying to any GEM).

I can afford the fees but I'm by no means rich - hence praying for a high enough ukcat for Warwick! What would you say is the lowest score I could apply there with? I emailed the uni about whether they take into account the whole application when considering interviews but I didn't get the best response.

Is bradford the course that does not guarantee you progression to medicine, and only has limited slots. Or do you automatically progress to medicine as long as you pass the year.

If it is the former, than I doubt you would get maintenance loans or funding. You would be doing a course of lesser value than you degree and it would count as a second degree/course. if it is automatic progression and counts as a year 0 of a medical degree, then you should get maintenance loans.

No one can say in regards to Warwick. It depends on the kind of candidates who apply. I know its not helpful but the higher the better!
Yes I'm aware of having to pay my own tuition, my question was about maintenance loans :smile:

I think you can still get them but don't quote me on that
[QUOTE=ForestCat;67838416]Is bradford the course that does not guarantee you progression to medicine, and only has limited slots. Or do you automatically progress to medicine as long as you pass the year.

If it is the former, than I doubt you would get maintenance loans or funding. You would be doing a course of lesser value than you degree and it would count as a second degree/course. if it is automatic progression and counts as a year 0 of a medical degree, then you should get maintenance loans.

No one can say in regards to Warwick. It depends on the kind of candidates who apply. I know its not helpful but the higher the better!

Yeah Bradford is the one where they take 40 students a year from foundation and year 1 to Leeds. So not guaranteed but better option statistically than biomed at Newcastle I think? But yeah that was my thinking also as it's not guaranteed entry but is classed as a year in the same way other 6 year courses are. I'm going to ring SF again later as I'm not convinced I would be entitled to a maintenance loan for Bradford (although would be decent if this is actually the case!). I guess I'm just trying to keep all my options open. If I don't get in this year I'm planning to sit gamsat in March so I can apply more strategically for GEM and sit ukcat if needed. My main worry is scoring around 600-650 as I think applying for Warwick would be an instant rejection. Praying for 700!
[QUOTE=AngryRedhead;67838420]I think you can still get them but don't quote me on that

You can for standard five year courses :smile: but I'm considering applying for a 6 year or year 0 course which is what we're debating.
Yeah Bradford is the one where they take 40 students a year from foundation and year 1 to Leeds. So not guaranteed but better option statistically than biomed at Newcastle I think? But yeah that was my thinking also as it's not guaranteed entry but is classed as a year in the same way other 6 year courses are. I'm going to ring SF again later as I'm not convinced I would be entitled to a maintenance loan for Bradford (although would be decent if this is actually the case!). I guess I'm just trying to keep all my options open. If I don't get in this year I'm planning to sit gamsat in March so I can apply more strategically for GEM and sit ukcat if needed. My main worry is scoring around 600-650 as I think applying for Warwick would be an instant rejection. Praying for 700!

You're a grad. Really you shouldn't be putting a 5th choice down. It would be an expensive year for you to do the year at Bradford with no guarantee at the end. You would be far better reapplying the year after and working on improving your application in the meantime. The year at Bradford is unlikely to improve your application for anywhere else and if you're not one of the 40, you'll be no better off.

Just wait and see what your score is
You can for standard five year courses :smile: but I'm considering applying for a 6 year or year 0 course which is what we're debating.

Why are you applying for foundation years? Doesn't your degree classification supersede your a-level grades?

The Bradford course isn't really a six year course, it isn't guaranteed progression at the end and you have to apply to Leeds medicine at the end. I don't really think its an option you want to be taking.
[QUOTE=AngryRedhead;67838562]Why are you applying for foundation years? Doesn't your degree classification supersede your a-level grades?

Some unis want science a levels and I did humanities and a humanities degree. My access course in some places is fine but others want access to medicine like in the case with Bradford/Leeds - so my fifth choice was going to be Bradford's clinical science foundation year for entry into Leeds a year later for this reason. My other choices are gem/5 year. Possibly all 5 year depending on how ukcat goes!

Quick Reply