Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Which university choice?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I'm trying to make a decision to which university to choice for next year... the only problem is the course i wanna do doesn't to my knowledge exist... to cut a long story short i want to be a film maker but i dont want to study film practice or studies at university. Instead i want to attack it from a different angle and study the psychology of film, colours or clothing or whether someones hair is long or short makes the viewer feel a certain way towards a character in a film, all of these are different aspects of how the viewer perceives the film itself and this is what i want to study. I have considered studying just psychology but it isnt for me, I'm not interested in the whole range or psychology but only the psychology behind film/art and design in general. So far i havent had any luck finding anything remotely like what i would like to study but hopefully you all will have better luck or alternative ideas? any help out there???

You're not going to find a psychology course that focuses just on that area at undergrad, or even masters. And tbh there's far more to psychology than preferences.

You're better off doing a media degree and see if they do a psychology module option in that area.

You could study media in university and I know they look into theories about audience perceptions of media and various types, then towards your final years focus on the psychological perceptions and base your dissertation on that? Try speak to someone who does media/film in university or attend an open day where you can speak to the teachers and lecturers there and find out more information on how you can cover what you find most interesting and can advise you more on what you can do. Hope this kinda helps and good luckk x

Definitely go for film/media courses and not psychology. Look into the flexibility of modules in each course and if they have an option for a dissertation then that can be on pretty much anything you like as long as you approach it from an academic point of view.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.