The Student Room Group

Hungarian migrant quota referendum, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by slaven
Yet you do not want that somebody force your family to share their property house with somebody else, or that somebody force your family to accept strangers in their house. The same goes why Hungary do not want to share itself with migrants.

And you are an anti-Europan racist and promise you Hungary will never be culturall enriched. Budapest will never be a disgusting city like London or Birmingham.

I did not know you bought a whole country, was it expensive?
Original post by lawlieto
This referendum is a joke. Data shows that probably less than 50% of the eligible voters turned up.. Why? because there is no point in voting, there will be no quotas now anyway, nobody will be forced to take in refugees if they don't want to.

Orban should have a referendum if Hungary wants to host the 2024 Olympics or not.

Why, because everybody knows that just the people who really care about the issue will be enough to determine the outcome.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why, because everybody knows that just the people who really care about the issue will be enough to determine the outcome.

Orban's party just uses the refugee issue to regain their popularity & divert attention from their corrupt government. They don't actually care about the safety of Hungarian people. The only thing they care about is getting money out of the EU so that Orban & his comrades can have new roads built where the MPs live and lol this is true, new roads are built mainly where powerful Fidesz politicians live, and also, I'm sure they keep some of the EU money for themselves, or use it to build stadiums and railway tracks where no human being uses the trains. (oh wait, that was the childhood village of Orban. Hmm!)

What is the point in having a referendum, if they are not forced to take refugees anyway? They spent so much money on that campaign, they could've spent it on something that actually makes sense.
Original post by lawlieto
Orban's party just uses the refugee issue to regain their popularity & divert attention from their corrupt government. They don't actually care about the safety of Hungarian people. The only thing they care about is getting money out of the EU so that Orban & his comrades can have new roads built where the MPs live and lol this is true, new roads are built mainly where powerful Fidesz politicians live, and also, I'm sure they keep some of the EU money for themselves, or use it to build stadiums and railway tracks where no human being uses the trains. (oh wait, that was the childhood village of Orban. Hmm!)

What is the point in having a referendum, if they are not forced to take refugees anyway? They spent so much money on that campaign, they could've spent it on something that actually makes sense.

You have a few things to learn about politics it seems.
Reply 24
Original post by Maker
I did not know you bought a whole country, was it expensive?

Hungarian nation=big family where all are relativies
Hungarian soil= property of the family.

Migrants here do not fit, therefore hungarians choose who to invite in their property. If they think blacks and muslims do not fit in this sheme than it is not the problem of hungarians.
Original post by slaven
... Budapest will never be a disgusting city like London or Birmingham.

London, the city, is richer than all of Hungary, the country - 4x at last count. London has more universities in the World Top 10 than the whole of Hungary.... but hey that's not what we should be measuring....

It's simple as...

Why do Brits go to Budapest? For a cheap beer and a p*ss-up! Sorry for using your city as a toilet.

Why do Hungarians come to London? For a career, education and a future... and guess what, Londoners welcome Hungarians migrants and rightly so too!
You have a few things to learn about politics it seems.

I think I know enough about politics in Hungary; it's corrupt and they're all bloody liars.

so there was a 43% turnout and more than 98% voted no. Well done to propaganda.
Reply 27
Original post by Blimey1000
London, the city, is richer than all of Hungary, the country - 4x at last count. London has more universities in the World Top 10 than the whole of Hungary.... but hey that's not what we should be measuring....

It's simple as...

Why do Brits go to Budapest? For a cheap beer and a p*ss-up! Sorry for using your city as a toilet.

Why do Hungarians come to London? For a career, education and a future... and guess what, Londoners welcome Hungarians migrants and rightly so too!

Actually London has more street beggars than Budapest, it is expensive as hell and there whores on every corner. The city is also dirty. On other hand Budapest is an old royal city and this charm has to this days. This I say as a person not from Hungary and who visited both cities.

While you have higher ranked colleges it is not for commoners. Hungary on other hand has free univ for all people. That is something what you will never have.

And you have more criminality and terrorism than Hungary. The 7/7 bomber is something you desirved because you imported millions of muslims. You saw it coming so the 7/7 is your own faulth. Hungary do not want to end like you.
98%. Ha.

Regardless of low turnout this is a great day for the sane among us. Hungary has rejected the notion that our continent should be polluted by some of the most deprived people in the world and those who are not culturally compatible.

What's wrong with just having free movement.. for the Europeans.

Except it won't. Even by just Hungarian constitutional rules, the referendum is null and void on a turnout of less than 50%, which appears to be what has happened.
Original post by anarchism101
Except it won't. Even by just Hungarian constitutional rules, the referendum is null and void on a turnout of less than 50%, which appears to be what has happened.

And given it's really just a symbolic thing 98% of 43% still gives the desired outcome, although given the polling it would be interesting if the yes campaign ended up taking the approach of encouraging their supporters not to vote, which is one problem with having turnout requirements.
It's pointless.

If 20,000 refugees turn up at the border, what are they going to do ??? Nothing, is the answer.

The referendum changes nothing.
What Orban is saying to Merkel is that my people support me in keeping the migrants out of my country whilst your people oppose you for welcoming them in to yours.

Which is pretty politically nifty when you think about it. And will resonate in Berlin just as much as Budapest.

It is also telling the Brusselians (as he calls the idiotic unelected EU bureaucrats) not to even think about imposing a Muslim migrant quota for Hungary.

His country have been (successfully) fighting against bloody Islamic invasions for centuries. They aren't going to change their views of the adherents of the religion coming en masse to live in their country, just because some western European liberals think that would be racist or "Islamophobic," that is for sure.
Original post by generallee
What Orban is saying to Merkel is that my people support me in keeping the migrants out of my country whilst your people oppose you for welcoming them in to yours.

Which is pretty politically nifty when you think about it. And will resonate in Berlin just as much as Budapest.

It is also telling the Brusselians (as he calls the idiotic unelected EU bureaucrats) not to even think about imposing a Muslim migrant quota for Hungary.

His country have been (successfully) fighting against bloody Islamic invasions for centuries. They aren't going to change their views of the adherents of the religion coming en masse to live in their country, just because some western European liberals think that would be racist or "Islamophobic," that is for sure.

Doesnt matter they will just find their subsidies slowly cut off or fines increased if they dont wish to abide by EU rules. They are free to leave.

Hmmm billions of £s in free money or a few refugees. Wonder which one they will pick?
going back 13 months Hungary shut down it's railway station to try and register 'refugees' in accordance with the law... the 'refugees' however refused to be registered in Hungary because they wanted to get on the train to Germany.

10 months ago crowds of 'refugees' are hanging around German railway stations attacking women

TBH I think it's understandable that Hungarians are not keen on taking them back. Merkel didn't ask the Hungarians when she 'invited' refugees to enter Europe and cross Hungary, but now she'd like them to help dig her out of the situation she created.
Original post by 999tigger
Doesnt matter they will just find their subsidies slowly cut off or fines increased if they dont wish to abide by EU rules. They are free to leave.

Hmmm billions of £s in free money or a few refugees. Wonder which one they will pick?

They won't take the migrants, depend upon it. The vote was decisive.

As for the so called fines, they won't ever be enforced as all the other countries who don't want to be landed with hundreds of thousands of middle eastern and african men in their cities, (which everyone knows is what will happen if it isn't nipped in the bud now) will stop them being imposed.

We are watching a gradual but definitive seepage of power away from the EU bureaucracy as it flounders in the face of this migrant crisis which it has proven completely incapable of dealing with. Each country is looking after itself on this matter. And that means no migrants in my back yard, let another country deal with the problem of all the crime, terrorism, cost and social breakdown, thanks very much.

But above all, the days of Brussels bossing sovereign peoples around is at last coming to an end.

Wasn't Brexit wonderful?
They won't take the migrants, depend upon it. The vote was decisive.

As for the so called fines, they won't ever be enforced as all the other countries who don't want to be landed with hundreds of thousands of middle eastern and african men in their cities, (which everyone knows is what will happen if it isn't nipped in the bud now) will stop them being imposed.

We are watching a gradual but definitive seepage of power away from the EU bureaucracy as it flounders in the face of this migrant crisis which it has proven completely incapable of dealing with. Each country is looking after itself on this matter. And that means no migrants in my back yard, let another country deal with the problem of all the crime, terrorism, cost and social breakdown, thanks very much.

But above all, the days of Brussels bossing sovereign peoples around is at last coming to an end.

Wasn't Brexit wonderful?

They dont have to pay the fines they just get it deducted at source by the commission.

43% is not decisive and it didnt even meet the 50% turnout required by the constitution so it has no effect.

Carry on frothing.
Original post by 999tigger
They dont have to pay the fines they just get it deducted at source by the commission.

43% is not decisive and it didnt even meet the 50% turnout required by the constitution so it has no effect.

Carry on frothing.

No point arguing now.

We'll reconvene when this has played out and I will enjoy pointing out to you the error of your ways.. If I have missed what is really happening here and Hungary backs down and take the migrants, or takes huge fines, I will admit I was wrong, per contra.

But I won't have to.
No point arguing now.

We'll reconvene when this has played out and I will enjoy pointing out to you the error of your ways.. If I have missed what is really happening here and Hungary backs down and take the migrants, or takes huge fines, I will admit I was wrong, per contra.

But I won't have to.

The point is the fines can be deducted at source, so they dont get an option of not paying. If the commission decides it wants to enforce the fines then they simply give them less free money in grants. Hungary doesnt have to do anything. It doesnt matter whether Hungary takes them or not.
Rather than obsessing over the small probably of having a foreigner living next door, Hungarians should focus on taking responsibility and improving their economy. Not only will they become less of an economic backwater, but the country will no longer need to suckle at the teat of EU subsidies like a helpless infant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending