The Student Room Group

Applying for Modern Languages and Linguistics (Oxford)?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else was applying for MLL at Oxford.

Where else are you applying? What do you think of the course? How likely do you think it is that you will get in? What is going to make you stand above the other candidates?

I'm applying for German and linguistics (Oxford, Southampton, Newcastle, Leeds, Warwick).
Reply 1
I'm applying for French and Linguistics at Queen's - the course looks really good, literature based but with some film studies and stuff which is always nice. Last time I checked, the entry rate was like 33% or something, and most people are called to interview, so I reckon if you boss the interview and get a good test score you got a pretty good chance :wink:. I've done my own linguistic survey in my local city about the word "scone" haha, hope that sets me apart. I consider the French part of my application to be pretty bog standard - I've read a little bit and I have a pen pal.

French and Linguistics at Oxford, Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle (called Linguistics with French), and Queen Mary.
Reply 2
Original post by famousgodofwar
Hey, I was wondering if anyone else was applying for MLL at Oxford.

Where else are you applying? What do you think of the course? How likely do you think it is that you will get in? What is going to make you stand above the other candidates?

I'm applying for German and linguistics (Oxford, Southampton, Newcastle, Leeds, Warwick).

I'm applying to do German and Linguistics as well, which college are you applying to?
Reply 3
How did people find the linguistics test? I thought it was better than most past papers I'd done but not sure I grasped the last question with the graphs and stuff
Original post by r9mmm
I'm applying to do German and Linguistics as well, which college are you applying to?

St.John's College. You?
Original post by neeve10
How did people find the linguistics test? I thought it was better than most past papers I'd done but not sure I grasped the last question with the graphs and stuff

Test was good, I think. I had a couple of issues with the final section: (1) (I think) there was an error in the question (the text description didn't match up to the graph; what was called "Study 1" on the graph was called "second study" in the description); (2) ran out of time on very last question... but didn't really have anything to say anyway!
Reply 6
Test was good, I think. I had a couple of issues with the final section: (1) (I think) there was an error in the question (the text description didn't match up to the graph; what was called "Study 1" on the graph was called "second study" in the description); (2) ran out of time on very last question... but didn't really have anything to say anyway!

Yeah I noticed that as well, I didn't really know which one to refer to when I was writing it up. If anyone did French as well, there was a mistake in the gap fill exercise, they put the gap in the wrong place. If it's their mistake then maybe that's in our favour?
Reply 7
St.John's College. You?

St Hugh's
Reply 8

I noticed that typo as well, and I just relabeled them, they might have done it deliberately
Reply 9
Original post by neeve10
I'm applying for French and Linguistics at Queen's - the course looks really good, literature based but with some film studies and stuff which is always nice. Last time I checked, the entry rate was like 33% or something, and most people are called to interview, so I reckon if you boss the interview and get a good test score you got a pretty good chance :wink:. I've done my own linguistic survey in my local city about the word "scone" haha, hope that sets me apart. I consider the French part of my application to be pretty bog standard - I've read a little bit and I have a pen pal.

French and Linguistics at Oxford, Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle (called Linguistics with French), and Queen Mary.

How did you find a pen pal?? Hard to tell if a lot of the websites are safe lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending