Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Applying to similar yet different courses?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm applying to similar yet different courses: Arabic & Politics and Politics and International Relations. (Largely because there are only 2 unis --in my sphere of preference -- that do Arabic & Politics -- St Andrews is a bit prestigious and far away and SOAS is too far away and expensive). I've found that they largely encompass each other and I have quite a bit to say about each:

> I wish to learn about Middle Eastern culture, history, and politics (and have done quite a bit in terms of political history). Plus, I've talked about Arabic being useful for future career paths.
    > I've talked about my interest in US foreign policy and the US's place in the world for international relations, plus more about the Middle East and Russia, and how our relationship with the US affects what we see in the media.
    > And I've talked about my interest in British politics & the UK's social issues etc and our place in terms of international relations, like with the EU and all that jazz.

Unfortunately, however, I'm finding it really hard to not name the courses, like I can't say: "I would like to study Arabic because..." or "The relationships between countries interest me because..." because I feel that it's so blatant that I'm applying to different courses. ('Politics' should be okay because both all of them include politics so advantage lol)

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about this?
    + If I don't include the course name would that seem too ambiguous?
    + Should I just choose between the two courses to make life easier?

Hi! I had the same problem with my courses as well (I'm applying for International Management/International Business) and it was hard to get the balance right. I'd focus on the common word that is in both of your courses which is Politics. It's absolutely fine to talk about your preference towards arabic - after all the other course is international relations and Arab Nations play a large role in this as far as I'm aware.

You don't actually have to mention your course title in your personal statement. Avoiding it is fine and universities understand that you'll be applying for slightly different courses elsewhere

Also out of interest - what other unis are you applying for you don't have to say if you don't want to
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.