The Student Room Group

Hourly Pay for Under 18's working at Tesco

I'm 16 and just left school and am now at college. I was just curious to find out the hourly pay for someone my age working at Tesco part time as I have applied for the role of customer service assistant. Any help would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AidanBarry
I'm 16 and just left school and am now at college. I was just curious to find out the hourly pay for someone my age working at Tesco part time as I have applied for the role of customer service assistant. Any help would be appreciated!

I think it's minimum wage or lower than the minimum age

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Bloom77
I think it's minimum wage or lower than the minimum age
Posted from TSR Mobile

But do you work at Tesco? I only want to know if you know for sure because anyone can just make guesses.
Reply 3
Hello! Recent ex-Tesco employee here. I'm fairly sure that one of their policies is to pay everyone the same regardless of age - that is, £7.24 an hour (and double time on Sundays/bank holidays) - however having just left school you might struggle with the interview as they tend to ask questions about previous experience (as in, in work) hope I helped!!
Reply 4
Original post by leannyly
Hello! Recent ex-Tesco employee here. I'm fairly sure that one of their policies is to pay everyone the same regardless of age - that is, £7.24 an hour (and double time on Sundays/bank holidays) - however having just left school you might struggle with the interview as they tend to ask questions about previous experience (as in, in work) hope I helped!!

Yeah thank you. I had the interview last week and have just been told I got the job. I have an induction on Tuesday! Thanks for your help!
Reply 5
Yeah thank you. I had the interview last week and have just been told I got the job. I have an induction on Tuesday! Thanks for your help!

That's fantastic, well done! You're gonna really enjoy it, I'm so sad I had to leave, the money was great too (oh and you get paid for your induction 😁)
Reply 6

Hey Aidan, what was the interview like? I have had a call today letting me know that I have an interview with them. Am just wondering what type of questions they asked you and if it was a group or 1 on 1 interview.
Hi, I know the last post was a while ago, but in the online application you have to put 'required salary'. I'm really unsure what to put! Any help would be appreciated!

And are you still there and do you recommend working at Tescos??

Thanksss
Reply 8
Original post by lucyjuicey1
Hi, I know the last post was a while ago, but in the online application you have to put 'required salary'. I'm really unsure what to put! Any help would be appreciated!

And are you still there and do you recommend working at Tescos??

Thanksss

Hi there, I put down £7.50 as my requested salary, but I get paid £7.92/ph which is brilliant at my age. I normally end up earning around £800 a month as I do a lot of over time. :smile:

I'm still at Tesco and am really enjoying my time there. My Interview was one-to-one and so was my induction, altogether the inductions are usually done with a few people in a group.

Hope this information helps
Hi there, I put down £7.50 as my requested salary, but I get paid £7.92/ph which is brilliant at my age. I normally end up earning around £800 a month as I do a lot of over time. :smile:

I'm still at Tesco and am really enjoying my time there. My Interview was one-to-one and so was my induction, altogether the inductions are usually done with a few people in a group.

Hope this information helps

Hi Aidan, thanks for the help - I wasn't sure if I put it too high whether or not they would reject me!! :biggrin: I really hope I get an interview at least - and a one-to-one at that!

Thanks again, Lucy :biggrin::biggrin:
you had interview straight away
Original post by lucyjuicey1
Hi Aidan, thanks for the help - I wasn't sure if I put it too high whether or not they would reject me!! :biggrin: I really hope I get an interview at least - and a one-to-one at that!

Thanks again, Lucy :biggrin::biggrin:

hiya! I'm applying for Tescos now and I'm honestly really nervous.
do you remember what they ask you in the interview and ah any tips for a first job?/first interview?
I just applied for Tesco’s and I got an application to fill in and it was successful. But reading above people put down around £7 for their salary but I just put £5.50 as I didn’t want it to seem too high. If I got the job, would I earn more or would I just get what I initially asked?

I work in a tesco store in scotland and the flat rate of pay is £9.64 per hour, regardless of age
What position do you have? I've started to work on saturday as a customer assistant in Tesco Express and no one told me how much I will earn yet.
how much did you get in the end
Original post by jamesmoore2005
how much did you get in the end

It's currently £9 an hour
Original post by not_XIX_forever
It's currently £9 an hour

ok thanks im hoping to work there when i turn 16
How did you apply to become a tesco employee, I'm 17 but im in sixthform not college. Is it flexible? Because I need to make time for my learning and work. What sort of questions did they ask you in the interview or do they tell you what they'd ask
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you know by any chance if that £9 an hour is after tax? Just asking as i’m turning 16 soon and considering to apply for tesco soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending