The Student Room Group

Will I Pay Tariff or Customs Duty if My Family Sends My Books to UK?

Hello everyone. I am an international student studying in the UK. For my courses, I need some textbooks which are available in my home at my home country. I want my family to send these books to me to the UK, but I am concerned whether the UK border agency may charge a tariff or customs duty. It will be a parcel with 18 textbooks, weighing approximately 20 kg or a little bit more. Do you think they would charge anything, or would they just let it pass for free? And are there any kind of exemption for textbooks or for university students? Thank you in advance for your help.
Original post by vobll
Hello everyone. I am an international student studying in the UK. For my courses, I need some textbooks which are available in my home at my home country. I want my family to send these books to me to the UK, but I am concerned whether the UK border agency may charge a tariff or customs duty. It will be a parcel with 18 textbooks, weighing approximately 20 kg or a little bit more. Do you think they would charge anything, or would they just let it pass for free? And are there any kind of exemption for textbooks or for university students? Thank you in advance for your help.

It depends what they assess their worth to be. If it's over a certain amount you ll need to pay 20% vat and a customs taxes and a processing fee. It's much less hassle and cheaper to buy copies here.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
It depends what they assess their worth to be. If it's over a certain amount you ll need to pay 20% vat and a customs taxes and a processing fee. It's much less hassle and cheaper to buy copies here.

Thank you very much for your help. Do you know if they themselves assess the value of the parcel, or do they make their decision on the basis of the stated value? Actually there is no certain value of these books because it is almost impossible to attach a value to every single book.
Original post by vobll
Thank you very much for your help. Do you know if they themselves assess the value of the parcel, or do they make their decision on the basis of the stated value? Actually there is no certain value of these books because it is almost impossible to attach a value to every single book.

I think usually the stated value although they can open them up if they re suspicious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending