Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student Loan Repayments

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hey all,I have a quick question regarding the repayments of my student loan. I am currently on a scholarship that encourages me not to use my loan (but I have to apply for the full amount).

I'm commencing my second year, and with the full maintenance loan in my account, it's getting rather difficult to budget. I have researched the suggestion of paying it back, but have received advice not to pay it back, as the interest rates are lower than any other loan and so the student loan may be required in the future.

I opened up a flexible ISA, but I am unsure if I can put the student loan into said account. I was wondering if anyone else has done this before?Thank you

(Original post by Fanticipation)
    I opened up a flexible ISA, but I am unsure if I can put the student loan into said account.
    You can do whatever you like with your SF loan once you get it - nobody monitors your use of that money.

Having said that, with interest rates being so low at the moment, you'd have to work hard to ensure that you don't make a loss i.e. earning less interest on the ISA than SF will charge.*Of course it may be worth taking a financial hit in order to have the lump sum available in future, for something like a mortgage deposit, car purchase etc. Few fresh graduates can muster the collateral to get a commercial loan and a few thousand pounds in the bank might be very useful. Depends on your circumstances, aspirations and prospects.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.