The Student Room Group

Long routes to study medicine

how many years would the long route to medicine take?
i didn't do to well at gcse as i got mostly b's
i am currently at year 12 studying chemistry biology and maths and psychology but I'm thinking of dropping psychology this year
When you say long route I'm assuming you mean graduate entry medicine. For that, you'd do an undergraduate degree which is normally 3 years, then you'd apply for accelerated medical courses which are 4 years, so in total 7 years.

There are also medicine courses with a foundation year, which you may be eligible for if you meet certain criteria, and these are 6 years.
Original post by yassaman
how many years would the long route to medicine take?
i didn't do to well at gcse as i got mostly b's
i am currently at year 12 studying chemistry biology and maths and psychology but I'm thinking of dropping psychology this year

You can get a relevant degree and get a high 2:1 then do graduate entry Medicine.
Original post by Oxidation
You can get a relevant degree and get a high 2:1 then do graduate entry Medicine.

Or an irrelevant degree. Or a 2:1. Or even a 2:2 for some med schools :wink:
Original post by Democracy

Ohh really? You can do any degree?
Original post by Oxidation
Ohh really? You can do any degree?

Yep for some GEPs.
some unis do a foundation programme which accepts people with lower grades so do your research

Lmao.. That cheekiness. Let me guess. Not your med school :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Lmao.. That cheekiness. Let me guess. Not your med school :tongue:

I don't have a problem with people who have 2:2s going into medicine or med schools which accept 2:2 degrees, definitely not how that post was meant to come across! My point was merely that you don't need a "high 2:1".
(edited 7 years ago)
Yep for some GEPs.

Oh that's good!
My GCSE's and A Levels were awful.

I'm 24 now. I took 2 years out, have now lived in Australia, India and Sweden and soon to graduate with a 2:1 in Biology with the Open University. I sat my UKCAT two days ago and got 734 average with a band 2 in SJT. I'll be applying to both the undergraduate and graduate route at KCL, and also Warwick and Newcastle.

It's never too late! 👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending