The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Use the webspace given to you by your ISP. That's normally ad/popup-free and often contains over 10 MB.
Reply 2
Pencil
Use the webspace given to you by your ISP. That's normally ad/popup-free and often contains over 10 MB. :smile:

i dont beleive i have any, i just have a broadband connection with bt. just the connection
Reply 3
http://www.freewebspace.net/search/power.shtml

Try this site, you might be able to find a good provider here.
Reply 4
Ollie
does anyone know of any decent host for a website of mine?

preferably:
no popups, banners etc
ftp
free!

i found one but the ftp is shocking!

many thanks

ollie

If you search using something like "free web hosting" FTP "no banner" under Google, you get a lot of hits, a lot of which look hopeful. One I pulled out, which matches your criteria, is FreeProHosting.
Reply 5
rahaydenuk
If you search using something like "free web hosting" FTP "no banner" under Google, you get a lot of hits, a lot of which look hopeful. One I pulled out, which matches your criteria, is FreeProHosting.

yeah, ive tried two that i got from google, that promised much yet delivered little. ill try a few others 2mrw lol!
Dear Ollie. although you hate me so much. i want to help you. i am afcing the same problem. i have been looking for one for two years now
i had one good free one with no ads or pop ups at www.f2s.com but they shut down the service.

i got only one so far
www.freewebs.com

but there is no ftp!!!
so u have to upload ur files one by one via browser
hope its helps and pls stop insulting me with ur puny comments

bloodhound
Reply 7
Unregistered
Dear Ollie. although you hate me so much. i want to help you. i am afcing the same problem. i have been looking for one for two years now
i had one good free one with no ads or pop ups at www.f2s.com but they shut down the service.

i got only one so far
www.freewebs.com

but there is no ftp!!!
so u have to upload ur files one by one via browser
hope its helps and pls stop insulting me with ur puny comments

bloodhound

not insulting just a warning.
thanks for that i need ftp though. ill find somw more 2mrw
I will lift the ban on ure member name if you prove to me that you can behave reponsibly bh. u obviously can
Reply 8
If you sign up to Freeserve's 'pay as you go' service (for free), you'll automatically be given a username and 20 MB of website - banner free.

To stop them from deleting your account, you'll need to connect to Freeserve once every few weeks.
I think http://www.port5.com/ offer free hosting..

The info's a bit sketchy on their website though.
Ollie
not insulting just a warning.
thanks for that i need ftp though. ill find somw more 2mrw
I will lift the ban on ure member name if you prove to me that you can behave reponsibly bh. u obviously can

my member name isnt banned. i just choose not to use it anymoer

bloodhound
Reply 11
Ollie
does anyone know of any decent host for a website of mine?

preferably:
no popups, banners etc
ftp
free!

i found one but the ftp is shocking!

many thanks

ollie

Getting free webspace with ftp and no banners will be difficult - and if you do manage to find one it will be really slow. I would recommend you pay around £10-15 a year for your space.

Or if you just want to host a few small pages I can put them on my webspace.
Reply 12
loftx
Getting free webspace with ftp and no banners will be difficult - and if you do manage to find one it will be really slow. I would recommend you pay around £10-15 a year for your space.

Or if you just want to host a few small pages I can put them on my webspace.

hey thanks for that ppl, in the end i hosted with www.portland.co.uk no ad's at all!!

but then i moved to these people - check them out!! amazing hosting packages!!!! u seriously need to see them. if u have a site, host it here right away!
http://www.deadhost.net
Reply 13
Ollie
hey thanks for that ppl, in the end i hosted with www.portland.co.uk no ad's at all!!

but then i moved to these people - check them out!! amazing hosting packages!!!! u seriously need to see them. if u have a site, host it here right away!
http://www.deadhost.net

LOL very good! :biggrin:
Reply 14
hey, of course with my monthly bandwith being 100mbs, ive gone over, does any one no if I put pictures etc (the big files) on another free host, would the bandwith count towards the picture's bandwidth, or my sites???
Ollie
hey, of course with my monthly bandwith being 100mbs, ive gone over, does any one no if I put pictures etc (the big files) on another free host, would the bandwith count towards the picture's bandwidth, or my sites???

Hi ollie, i know this is a little late but you could use the host www.illfuckinghostit.com, to put put pictures etc. It has no banners i dont think and it also has ftp access.

It gives the following:
* Personalized hostname (your username.ourdomain.com - we have a kickass list of domains to choose from)
* PHP support!
* 50MB of disk space!
* 100MB of transfer per month!
The site has some attitude but oh well :tongue:. I used it as my first host and it looks good.

Good Luck
Reply 16
ƒlå®è®
Hi ollie, i know this is a little late but you could use the host www.illfuckinghostit.com, to put put pictures etc. It has no banners i dont think and it also has ftp access.

It gives the following:
* Personalized hostname (your username.ourdomain.com - we have a kickass list of domains to choose from)
* PHP support!
* 50MB of disk space!
* 100MB of transfer per month!
The site has some attitude but oh well :tongue:. I used it as my first host and it looks good.

Good Luck

thanks, at the mo i have 100mbs, i guess i need more! would putting the pics on there reduce the bandwidth from the other site?
Ollie
thanks, at the mo i have 100mbs, i guess i need more! would putting the pics on there reduce the bandwidth from the other site?

Do you mean for instance having a different site just for pics and then linking that website to the orignal website, so people when clicking that link will be redirected to the different site to be able to view the pictures? I would say that would work, as long as you remove the pics from your orignal site and upload them to the different site(different host etc) and simply just have the link to redirect them to that site with the pics.

I'm not too sure about this, so i'm sorry if i'm wrong.

ƒlå®è®
Reply 18
ƒlå®è®
Do you mean for instance having a different site just for pics and then linking that website to the orignal website, so people when clicking that link will be redirected to the different site to be able to view the pictures? I would say that would work, as long as you remove the pics from your orignal site and upload them to the different site(different host etc) and simply just have the link to redirect them to that site with the pics.

I'm not too sure about this, so i'm sorry if i'm wrong.

ƒlå®è®

no i mean rather than placing in the html the location relevant to a base directory, for it to be external. just the pics, nothing else on there. that would make the transfer about 150kb for a viewer viewing the whole site. that way i guess 100mb might last a bit longer. i was gonna host the pics on a ite that has ads. they only put ads on the html pages.

hows this sound?
Reply 19
Ollie
no i mean rather than placing in the html the location relevant to a base directory, for it to be external. just the pics, nothing else on there. that would make the transfer about 150kb for a viewer viewing the whole site. that way i guess 100mb might last a bit longer. i was gonna host the pics on a ite that has ads. they only put ads on the html pages.

hows this sound?

Yes that would work, but if the server you're using for the images found out you were just using them for this purpose, they'd probably close your account, although there's very little chance of them actually finding out! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending