The Student Room Group
Reply 1
This list explains it all in mind-numbing detail.
Woman in Somerfield refused to serve me for vodka because I wasn't 21 :frown:

I hope she gets multiple blood clots.

Anyway, I acquired a litre from their rival store next door. Heee :biggrin:
Reply 4
HearTheThunder
Woman in Somerfield refused to serve me for vodka because I wasn't 21 :frown:

I hope she gets multiple blood clots.

Anyway, I acquired a litre from their rival store next door. Heee :biggrin:

they challenge you if you look under 21 - and if you couldn't prove you were over 18 they wont serve you
Reply 5
Apparently they're planning to move it to 21, like America, and the buying-cigarettes age to 18. *Apparently*
Reply 6
Vesta
Apparently they're planning to move it to 21, like America, and the buying-cigarettes age to 18. *Apparently*

:gasp:
Vesta

Lol. They won't do that. (Even if they are 'planning' to).
Reply 8
Fishfinger Sandwich
Lol. They won't do that. (Even if they are 'planning' to).

I hope not :redface:
Reply 9
o-e-s-j
they challenge you if you look under 21 - and if you couldn't prove you were over 18 they wont serve you

A while ago I was in a small shop which refused to serve me alcohol because I wasn't 21, despite the fact that I had ID proving I was 19.
WASN'T happy...was nice cheap alcohol and I ended up spending a few pounds more at a different shop.
They had signs up saying 'We cannot serve alcohol to under 21's due to policy', but I assumed it'd just been written wrong until they turned me away.
Reply 10
Shops can put their own restriction on alcohol, I believe.
Reply 11
dangle
Shops can put their own restriction on alcohol, I believe.

Seems a bit silly of them to put into place a policy which LOSES them money though...
cpj1987
Seems a bit silly of them to put into place a policy which LOSES them money though...

yeah. Most corner shops i know will sell it to anyone so long as your not in a pram...
Reply 13
Vesta

They won't do that because

a. Most people in Britain have had just about enough of this 'Let's follow America' attitude.

b. It would be economic madness, since most people buying alcohol, and thus paying tax on their purchases are probably between 18 and 21. I mean, I probably fund a small Ministry just on my purchases :tongue:
Reply 14
Vesta

Asda and Tesco are already with the 18 to buy cigs thing.

It becomes compulosorary in October.
Reply 15
deej
Asda and Tesco are already with the 18 to buy cigs thing.

It becomes compulosorary in October.

I wonder why more people don't know about the whole cigs age to 18 now. Hardly anyone knows, it's hardly been publicised. Unless it's just me who hasn't noticed? :stupido2:

Dionysus
They won't do that because

a. Most people in Britain have had just about enough of this 'Let's follow America' attitude.

b. It would be economic madness, since most people buying alcohol, and thus paying tax on their purchases are probably between 18 and 21. I mean, I probably fund a small Ministry just on my purchases :tongue:

Although you have fair points, I think some people (especially the adult population - so over 21s, as it doesn't really affect them) would agree with the age limit being extended (because of the whole drink-driving problem rife among under 21s - the many road accidents caused by under 21s driving and drinking). And the Government have already increased the age limit to buying cigarettes, which will significantly affect them tax-wise.
Reply 16
Vesta
I wonder why more people don't know about the whole cigs age to 18 now. Hardly anyone knows, it's hardly been publicised. Unless it's just me who hasn't noticed? :stupido2:

I'd not heard about it. I'd heard it was a plan but assumed it wouldn't go ahead.
I don't smoke and I'm 19, so it's not a problem for me at all...but what do all the 16-17 years olds do when smoking suddenly becomes illegal for them again?
Reply 17
Vesta

I only found out yesterday when I was at the kiosk in my local Sainsburys buying a paper- there was a sign there on the counter saying. I knew they were thinking of doing it but I wasnt aware it had actually been decided upon
Reply 18
cpj1987
I'd not heard about it. I'd heard it was a plan but assumed it wouldn't go ahead.
I don't smoke and I'm 19, so it's not a problem for me at all...but what do all the 16-17 years olds do when smoking suddenly becomes illegal for them again?

Yeah, so few people know about it. I only found out very recently myself! Although it doesn't affect me because I'm a non-smoker too, but I can think of a lot of people in my school who it'll affect.
One day in October it's legal for them to buy cigarettes, and bam! the next day, no one'll serve them because it's now illegal. :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Apparently if a shop has been caught selling alcohol to people under 18 they can be banned from selling it to people under the age of 21.

so I was told by a woman at a respectable lil off licence in ashford ;yes;

Latest