The Student Room Group

Some advice

Hey,
I know this isn't technically supposed to be here, but I just wanted some advice. I guess its relationship in the sense it could damage a working relationship with an employer, and health in the sense its the difference between working 60 hour weeks or 35-40hour weeks!

Okay,
I've worked at my local subway for about 2 weeks now, and I've (if I don't sound too big headed about this) being a saviour for the owner as I've been called up like 30mins notice to see if I can work and get there in 30mins, which is fine by me as I asked for fulltime hours, and they could only offer me 15hours as I was going back to uni.

So I've done about 25-30hours for the past 2 weeks. Anyway, I told them I was applying for another job for the daytime (I worked mostly nights) and they were fine with it!

Basically, I got the other job starting monday. But, here is the dilemma. Last night one of subways fulltime staff didn't turn up and has now quit. A part-time staff also left too.

In terms of my finances, I'd be happy earning £1,500 ish this summer. That will clear my overdraft, pay off what I owed my parents, and set me up for a year of sensible savings which will keep me in the black for the rest of the year. I also plan to get a part-time job at uni, which I didn't in year 1.

I told them I got this other job, and they said it's fine but also gave me another option, so here they are:

Option 1: Do both jobs. Which will be:

Monday = 9 - 6 [Office] and 6 - 11:30 [Subway - every other week]
Tuesday = 9 - 6 [Office]
Wednesday = 9-6 [Office]
Thursday = 9-6 [Office] and 6-11:30 [Subway]
Friday = 9-6 [Office] and 6-11:30 [Subway]
Saturday = Day off I *Think*
Sunday = 10 - 5 [Subway]

Hours in the week: 69.7 Hours (**** me, thought it was more like 60).
Money: £500 [Office] + £117.50 [Subway]

Option 2: Just subway (I can't do "just office" as it's 2 months temp, and subway promised to give me hours over christmas/easter/summer which I'm at uni for next 2-3 years, which is great).

Not sure of EXACT hours yet. I'll be happy with 35 hours at a minimum till uni.

Monday = Got 5.5 every other week.
Tuesday = I think 8 - 6:30
Wed = I think 8-6:30
Thursday = 6-11PM
Friday = 6-11PM
Saturday = May be working
Sunday = 10-5

Maybe 38hours. I'm not too sure. I'm purely guessing. But I'll be replacing a fulltime staff member, and doing my own hours, so the hours are there for a while as it will take a while to train someone for subway as there is LOTS to learn! Suprisingly.

So if so, that's like £190 a week. Which is fine by me.

My thoughts: Not so sure I can do 70hours a week for next two months (28th Septemember would be last working day). I'd have no time to do other things, barely enough time to sleep, no idea when I'd eat some days... lol. I guess I answered the question myself.

I like the owners, would prefer the work compared to an office, but I did want office experience. At the office interview I said "yes" to being able to do work outside the hours, which makes me think I may be asked to, but now that doesn't seem possible... so should I call them and tell them no and take subway?

Anyone here work stupid hours, like 60-70 hours a week?
If you can hack it, I'd do the 2 jobs. It'll be hard work but think of the money. Although you'll probably get screwed over in terms of tax.

And yeah, office experience will be good but if it's temp then Subway is more secure. Couldn't you ask Subway for 2 months unpaid leave? and just focus on the office?
Just do the office work for now, then reapply to subway or somewhere when the 2 months is up.
Reply 3
if it were me, i'd take the office work too
Reply 4
70 hours a week will probably kill you and leave you living a horrible life for the next two months. Money just isn't worth that much.
Reply 5
70 hours a week will probably kill you and leave you living a horrible life for the next two months. Money just isn't worth that much.

This is what I'm sort of thinking. I still am unsure. Spoke to so many people about it today! I'm working subway tonight, so will see what they can offer me. Perhaps I'll get lucky and get more like 40hours :cool:

But yea, I don't think I can realistically do both. If the office was 9-5 maybe more realistic. But I can't finish at 6 and start at 6!

Also as for 2 months leave, I've only just started so there is no reason for them to give it me, and I don't want to mess them around. They have 2 people to replace, and think they havent got anyone good lined up hence offering me fulltime last night and today, so would appreciate the 2months deliberation time!
spark911
They have 2 people to replace, and think they havent got anyone good lined up

Thats their problem, not yours.
spark911
This is what I'm sort of thinking. I still am unsure. Spoke to so many people about it today! I'm working subway tonight, so will see what they can offer me. Perhaps I'll get lucky and get more like 40hours :cool:

But yea, I don't think I can realistically do both. If the office was 9-5 maybe more realistic. But I can't finish at 6 and start at 6!

Also as for 2 months leave, I've only just started so there is no reason for them to give it me, and I don't want to mess them around. They have 2 people to replace, and think they havent got anyone good lined up hence offering me fulltime last night and today, so would appreciate the 2months deliberation time!

I definitely wouldn't work both jobs, I mean how can you teleport yourself at 6 o'clock anyway?! If you can get Subway to let you go for now but still give you Xmas/Easter hours (you're already trained and someone else would be doing it while you're at uni anyway so what's the difference?) then take the office job, otherwise just stick at Subway with as many hours you can get, I reckon.
Reply 8
Music_Enthusiast
Thats their problem, not yours.

Yea, but they are good people! I know, still their problem. But I'm lucky with my employers, always turn out more like friends you can just chat to and have a laugh with so far.

Anyway, they offered me pretty much 40-odd hours a week. Will earn half of the office-job, but will prefer this work over the office probably. So going with subway. As much as a spare £2,000 will be good, if I spend wisely next year and get a part-time job too, I'll make up that £2,000 over the year.
Reply 9
70 hrs per week? Just do it (Nike...) you can always quit one of them later - it's only double shifts 2.5 days a week.

Latest

Trending

Trending