The Student Room Group

How far in advance can you rent

I'm wanting to secure a place for my second year of uni.

When is the earliest I can reserve a house to rent? I would like to do it so I don't have to worry about it again. I've found the perfect places to rent, near my course area, at an affordable price and also some good mates that are game for it.

Should I arrange viewings in January or can I do that now and book for September?
Reply 1
Original post by TrojanH

When is the earliest I can reserve a house to rent? I would like to do it so I don't have to worry about it again. I've found the perfect places to rent, near my course area, at an affordable price and also some good mates that are game for it.

Should I arrange viewings in January or can I do that now and book for September?

Whenever the landlord agrees.
Reply 2
Very much depends on where you are at uni. I was at Durham and the average time to sign your house was November-January for the next academic year. Now I'm in London, the furthest in advance you could realistically get is 2 months, and even that will be tough. Most of my friends here sign 2-4 weeks in advance of moving in.
Original post by TrojanH

As others have said it depends on the landlord. Do remember once you've signed the contract it is very difficult to go back, regardless of how well you do or don't get on with these mates in 11 months time.*

Quick Reply

Latest