The Student Room Group

Could I get into/be considered for Oxford with these A Levels?

Hi, I'm desperately worried about something- I am currently taking English, History and Drama at my local college for A Levels. However, I really want to change History to Photography. If I took the A Levels: English, Photography and Drama, would this rule out Oxford for me? Would I even be considered with these three A Levels, let alone get in? I've heard that to be considered Oxford like you to have atleast two classical subjects, so would making this change stop me from being considered for Oxford? Thank you!!
Original post by hollamba
Hi, I'm desperately worried about something- I am currently taking English, History and Drama at my local college for A Levels. However, I really want to change History to Photography. If I took the A Levels: English, Photography and Drama, would this rule out Oxford for me? Would I even be considered with these three A Levels, let alone get in? I've heard that to be considered Oxford like you to have atleast two classical subjects, so would making this change stop me from being considered for Oxford? Thank you!!

Your application would be substantially weaker.

Why do you want to change subjects?

What do you hope to apply for at Oxford, check their web site and it will explain the entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
From my experience with doing it at GCSE (and knowing it will be much more difficult at A Level), I'm dreading doing it and just find the thought of doing it for the next two years (along with the other things in life I want to pursue in life being made more difficult) genuinely distressing:frown:(

I was thinking I could stay on after the A Levels I'm taking now and do it then, when the workload will be less severe, but I don't really want to put anything off either.

I'm hoping to go for English Lit&Lang at Oxford, and thank you I will try that:smile:
Reply 3
From my experience with doing it at GCSE (and knowing it will be much more difficult at A Level), I'm dreading doing it and just find the thought of doing it for the next two years (along with the other things in life I want to pursue in life being made more difficult) genuinely distressing(I was thinking I could stay on after the A Levels I'm taking now and do it then, when the workload will be less severe, but I don't really want to put anything off either.I'm hoping to go for English Lit&Lang at Oxford, and thank you I will try that
From my experience with doing it at GCSE (and knowing it will be much more difficult at A Level), I'm dreading doing it and just find the thought of doing it for the next two years (along with the other things in life I want to pursue in life being made more difficult) genuinely distressing:frown:(

I was thinking I could stay on after the A Levels I'm taking now and do it then, when the workload will be less severe, but I don't really want to put anything off either.

I'm hoping to go for English Lit&Lang at Oxford, and thank you I will try that:smile:

Spreading A levels over more than 2 years won't boost you chances of Oxford. Achieving top grades in any "art" subject does not come without a massive amount of work, don't underestimate it. If you are looking for "easier" A levels because history is too hard then I wonder if you are being realistic in targeting Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
These subjects would not allow for a realistic application to Oxford, as you are only taking one subject, English, which any Oxford college would consider 'academic'. The other two, Drama and Photography are not a suitable preparation for an undergraduate course. To make a realistic application, you would need to be studying 3 academic A levels and be predicted A*AA/A*A*A and have an excellent results record to date. The only exceptions to this is if you've been disadvantaged in some way.

See what they say themselves. http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/admissions-process-undergraduate#collapse1-4

History is "helpful" but not required....but then they discuss how applicants with "science or social science" A levels have been successful. A subject profile that is very arts focused might be fine but might be an issue.

Their main filtering method though is based on your PS/reference/predicted grades, your written work submission and your ELAT score. If you think you've got more chance of an AAA or higher prediction with photography than with history then there's nothing here indicating that you would be disadvantaged.

You can always ring/email them directly and ask - it isn't in their interest to encourage applicants to take subjects they don't consider suitable.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest