The Student Room Group

ASAP & URGENT - Should i go back to my old school for sixth form?

I have recently moved sixth forms and found that they are very big on independence. I also have three teachers where i cannot learn during their lessons because they don't explain very well. I have tried googling things, revision books and textbooks but i feel it isn't the same as having an actual teacher. However they get good results and have a good reputation and are selective on the students that get in. I have emailed my old school and they say i can come back and to tell them by tonight. My old school isn't selective but for english lit they're doing a play i did at GCSE which would be easier and i know the teachers i would have and they are good. I don't know if its just because of A levels that i'm struggling and if with hard work i could stay at the new school and succeed or i should move back while i can. Thanks in advance
Original post by xoJessica_Leexo
I have recently moved sixth forms and found that they are very big on independence. I also have three teachers where i cannot learn during their lessons because they don't explain very well. I have tried googling things, revision books and textbooks but i feel it isn't the same as having an actual teacher. However they get good results and have a good reputation and are selective on the students that get in. I have emailed my old school and they say i can come back and to tell them by tonight. My old school isn't selective but for english lit they're doing a play i did at GCSE which would be easier and i know the teachers i would have and they are good. I don't know if its just because of A levels that i'm struggling and if with hard work i could stay at the new school and succeed or i should move back while i can. Thanks in advance

I personally think you would be better off going back to your old school. If you're struggling with the work already and don't like the teaching style of your new teachers, then (at least, in my opinion) things aren't likely to get much better as time goes along. It's up to you of course, however if I were in your position, I would choose to move back to my old school where I'm familiar with the teachers and know that I am able to learn using their teaching styles :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I personally think you would be better off going back to your old school. If you're struggling with the work already and don't like the teaching style of your new teachers, then (at least, in my opinion) things aren't likely to get much better as time goes along. It's up to you of course, however if I were in your position, I would choose to move back to my old school where I'm familiar with the teachers and know that I am able to learn using their teaching styles :smile:

But the thing with my old school is that there is at least 5-6 new teachers every year and sometimes the teachers leave in really short notice so i don't know if that would happen to my teachers if i went back
If I were you, I would move back to my old school. To me, it doesn't matter if the school is selective or not, or gets good results; it matters more about your learning environment and if it works for you. You're the one doing the work in the end. Maybe those students end up teaching themselves as the teachers aren't that good (as you say) but the students are able. A lazy student could be at the best school ever, but it's on them to study and take advantage of the resources available.

Hope that helps :smile:
Move back while you can. I moved to a selective school and i regret it. if i had the choice you do, i would be back in a heartbeat
Reply 5
You need to ignore for a moment what kind of results each school gets and how selective they are. I am not going to tell you which sixth form is better for you, but you need to consider what kind of style of teaching best works for you. Why are you not learning at your new sixth form? Is it the teachers or is it the difficulty of the content? I found with biology AS last year that I was realy struggling with the teachers before I eventually realised, I could have amazing teachers but if the content is too hard then it won't work. You need to consider why sixth form is better for you, which is more convinient? Why did you move in the first place. If you really can't learn in your new sixth form you need to think about why and whether its the school or something else causing it. If you decide to stay you need to talk to your teachers and see what they think, and you need to do this quickly because in sixth form, missing time out of learning can hit your studies really hard. Missing 1 week of learning at sixth form is the equivenlant to missing a month in year 11.
Hope this helps and good luck regardless of where life takes you
I'll answer this by drawing on personal experience -

One of my friends from Secondary went to a selective state school Sixth Form that gets higher results, whilst I and the rest of my friendship group went to an unselective Sixth Form College which gets lower results. I am predicted 4 A*s but my friend, who doesn't like the Sixth Form she has chosen, is barely getting C's (but she got mostly A's in her GCSEs). She doesn't like her teachers or her classes, and whilst I and others could have gotten into this selective Sixth Form, we much prefered the style and atmosphere for the Sixth Form College so we went there instead. I have no regrets, but my friend has a lot.

The point I am trying to make is that results aren't important, if you don't like where you are you will not do well as you won't enjoy the time you spend in classes or around the building. You have to get through two years, so I think you should go where you will feel most comfortable, regardless of the results.

Quick Reply

Latest