The Student Room Group

Difference between a Lawyer and a Barrister?

Whats the difference? Apart from how barristers can represent someone in court whilst lawyers cannot? But apart from that whats the main difference? I really dont know what to aim for in the long run, i.e. lawyer/barrister but I was recently told that the differences were not that big.
A "lawyer" = someone who works in the legal profession, be they barrister, solicitor, or legal academic.

The difference you are seeking an answer to seems, to me, to be the difference between a barrister and a solicitor. However, the ever-growing role of "solicitor advocate" makes things that little bit more complicated.
Reply 2
Barristers are self-employed, Solicitors usually work in firms. So potentially, it could take a while to start earning as a barrister while a solicitor has a more steady, secure income.

Normal solicitors can advocate in the lower courts (eg magistrates), but as Pernell Whitaker points out, solicitor advocates can advocate in all the courts.

Barristers wear cool outfits (this may change over the coming years), solicitors (generally) wear suits.

That should give you somewhere to start...

Why not read some law careers guides? Or look at lawcareers.net, lawyer2b.com, etc
Reply 4
naelse
Barristers are self-employed, Solicitors usually work in firms. So potentially, it could take a while to start earning as a barrister while a solicitor has a more steady, secure income.

Normal solicitors can advocate in the lower courts (eg magistrates), but as Pernell Whitaker points out, solicitor advocates can advocate in all the courts.

Barristers wear cool outfits (this may change over the coming years), solicitors (generally) wear suits.

That should give you somewhere to start...

Why not read some law careers guides? Or look at lawcareers.net, lawyer2b.com, etc

When a Solicitor-Advocate exercises rights before the higher courts they have to wear the gown but they don't wear the wig.
Who is a lawyer
Who is a lawyer

Quick Reply

Latest