The Student Room Group

McKinsey Tests

Hi,

I had applied for the Business Analyst graduate job at McKinsey and received an email 2 days ago from CEB/SHL inviting me to complete a Verbal Reasoning assessment and a Numerical Reasoning assessment which I have until Wednesday 5th October to complete.

4 days ago I got an email saying

"Thank you for your recent application to McKinsey and Company.

"As part of your application some offices may ask you to take an online test. You will receive a separate invitation if you are required to take the test and will have five days from receiving the invitation to complete it online.

Good luck with your application!

Kind regards,
McKinsey and Company Recruitment Team

"What happens after 10 Nov if I am successful?
Should your application be successful on 10 Nov, the next stage would be the in-person McKinsey Problem Solving Test which would take place in the w/c 14 Nov.

We strongly recommend that you take time to prepare and familiarise yourself with the online sample tests.

Web version - http://www.mckinsey.com/Careers/Apply/Problem_solving_test"

I have also seen on McKinsey's website that it says

"PROBLEM SOLVING TEST

As part of our recruiting process you may be asked to take a brief test, either online or in person. Depending on the role you apply for, the test may focus on different aspects of your knowledge or abilities. If this applies to the role, you will receive more detailed information in the recruiting process.
One example of this type of test is our McKinsey Problem Solving Test, a multiple-choice test that will demonstrate your analytical skills and is used as a complement to our case interviews. It consists of 26 questions, is based on real McKinsey client cases, and no business background is required. Sample tests of this type are available for download."

Now I do not know for sure. However, I am guessing that the online verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning tests that I have been asked to complete is not the same thing as the McKinsey problem-solving test (PST) since the PST is an in-person test whilst the online verbal and numerical reasoning tests that I have been asked to complete are online tests. The PST is to complete case interviews and I have not yet been invited to an interview. Also McKinsey's PST coaching guide says that

http://www.durhamconsulting.co.uk/resources/guides/McKinsey-PST-Coaching-Guide.pdf "you are not allowed to bring a calculator". However, for the online tests I have been invited to complete, no would could stop anyone from using a calculator.

I would like to confirm with anyone who has applied to McKinsey for this job role or any other job role, if the two online tests and PST are different and separate tests to each other?

If this is the case, are McKinsey's numerical and verbal reasoning tests just like those which all other companies who use SHL require applicants to do?

I am sorry if I come across as asking a stupid question but I just want to be certain

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi,

I did the test as well. It's just the regular numerical and verbal test. Not at all like the PST. I haven't gotten a response since 5th of October after taking the test. Did you get any response?
Out of interest, what format did you use to add in all your university marks? I saw this requirement on their London careers website and was a bit surprised. Is this generally expected in the UK?
Hi Louisa,

Did you receive a message like the one above? Thanks
Hi Louisa,

Did you receive the same e-mail as one above?
Anyone receive an email today?
Reply 6
No - Earlier mail mentioned that they will get back on 10th nov regarding outcome of application. I did not receive any communication - does it mean not selected or is it delayed. Any idea ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending