The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances and GCSE's

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone new if homeschooling counts as an extenuating circumstance for gcses? I was homeschool due to anxiety issues. I am only doing 6 GCSE's - would this be enough even when my homeschooling is taken in to account.
Thanks X
Reply 1
Original post by glassanimal
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone new if homeschooling counts as an extenuating circumstance for gcses? I was homeschool due to anxiety issues. I am only doing 6 GCSE's - would this be enough even when my homeschooling is taken in to account.
Thanks X

I don't think you could apply for Special Consideration, unless the actual act of taking the exams caused you extreme anxiety (so a worsening of an existing condition). Special consideration is awarded in recognition of something that disadvantages candidates at the time of the exam or the time leading up to the exam period. It is to compensate for things like illness during an exam or a bereavement leading up to, or during the exam period and requires evidence, usually medical.
Original post by Clemm101
I don't think you could apply for Special Consideration, unless the actual act of taking the exams caused you extreme anxiety (so a worsening of an existing condition). Special consideration is awarded in recognition of something that disadvantages candidates at the time of the exam or the time leading up to the exam period. It is to compensate for things like illness during an exam or a bereavement leading up to, or during the exam period and requires evidence, usually medical.

I was acctually diagnosed with sever anxiety witch 'severly impacts my functioning' - does that count??
Reply 3
Hi,
Thanks X

Special consideration is a specific term that refers to contacting the exam boards and asking for extra marks because of a bad situation that affected you. This isn't what you need.

So it depends what you want. Do you want unis to be more lenient? Employers? Colleges?
Original post by Juno
Special consideration is a specific term that refers to contacting the exam boards and asking for extra marks because of a bad situation that affected you. This isn't what you need.

So it depends what you want. Do you want unis to be more lenient? Employers? Colleges?

I am refering to university application
I am refering to university application

Then it should go in your reference.
As pointed out special consideration has a specific meaning .

The thing you are asking them to take into consideration is more the fact you have anxiety issues. One of the problems is that it raises the question of whetehr you have overcome this anxiety and how that might affect your uni studies if its an ongoing issue.
Original post by 999tigger
Then it should go in your reference.
As pointed out special consideration has a specific meaning .

The thing you are asking them to take into consideration is more the fact you have anxiety issues. One of the problems is that it raises the question of whetehr you have overcome this anxiety and how that might affect your uni studies if its an ongoing issue.

What I mean is that it has prevented me from attending lessons, and has effected my ablity to learn. So therefor it has impacted my gcse grades.
What I mean is that it has prevented me from attending lessons, and has effected my ablity to learn. So therefor it has impacted my gcse grades.

Yes I got that from your reply to Juno.
Whoever is writing your reference will know how to phrase it.
If it has impacted your ability to attend lessons and therefore to learn you need to consider whether or not uni is right for you in the first place. It requires attendance at lessons and tutorials (something you've said you were too anxious to do at school) and a significant degree of self directed study (something we can infer from you saying home schooling impacted your grades that you aren't particularly good at).
Original post by Ethereal
If it has impacted your ability to attend lessons and therefore to learn you need to consider whether or not uni is right for you in the first place. It requires attendance at lessons and tutorials (something you've said you were too anxious to do at school) and a significant degree of self directed study (something we can infer from you saying home schooling impacted your grades that you aren't particularly good at).

I am just hoping that i will be okay... cause otherwise i dont know what i would. Going to university has always been a big target for me.

Quick Reply