The Student Room Group

Is being underweight unhealthy?

So I'm a 17yr old female and recently I decided to calculate my BMI. At 160cm tall and 45kg, I'm classified as underweight. However, I was wondering if it's unhealthy to be underweight if you eat a lot and don't have any problems that are associated with such?

On most days I'll eat between 2500-3000 calories and while I would say my diet is pretty healthy, my intake is greater than what is recommended for someone with my stats. Plus I only exercise around once a week. I have a normal period and hardly feel faint/dizzy, although I do get cold a lot.

In fact, my weight has never bothered me much, but in the last month someone made comments about the way I looked despite them knowing that I eat a lot and I don't have any problems. Personally, I feel fine the way I am despite being underweight and would only change if it was having an impact on my health, which it isn't. But was just curious - is it dangerous to be underweight even if you are healthy otherwise?

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 1
BMI is just a guide that doesn't need to be followed accurately. Personally I'm also underweight in the same way as you, where I just simply don't gain weight. As long as you eat fine then you should be ok. A doctor who is also underweight told me at one point that it's fine as well ^_^
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm a 17yr old female and recently I decided to calculate my BMI. At 160cm tall and 45kg, I'm classified as underweight. However, I was wondering if it's unhealthy to be underweight if you eat a lot and don't have any problems that are associated with such?

On most days I'll eat between 2500-3000 calories and while I would say my diet is pretty healthy, my intake is greater than what is recommended for someone with my stats. Plus I only exercise around once a week. I have a normal period and hardly feel faint/dizzy, although I do get cold a lot.

In fact, my weight has never bothered me much, but in the last month someone made comments about the way I looked despite them knowing that I eat a lot and I don't have any problems. Personally, I feel fine the way I am despite being underweight and would only change if it was having an impact on my health, which it isn't. But was just curious - is it dangerous to be underweight even if you are healthy otherwise?

Thanks guys :smile:

Being underweight can mean that you are unhealthy and can make you more at risk of some health problems, but it depends how underweight you are and why.
BMI is just a general indicator and is not 100% correct. For instance, if you put in the details of somebody who works out a lot and has a lot of muscle they will most likely come out as overweight because BMI does not take varied muscle quantity into account (it weight more than fat).
If you would like to know more about your weight and your health I suggest you see a doctor or nurse at your surgery. If they are concerned that you might be unwell or at risk due to your weight they can look at causes, if you would like to put on a bit of weight they can help you and if you just want reasurance and a bit more info they can give you that too.

If you just want a little reassurance from the general public here's my bit:
I typed in your details to get a look for myself and although you are on the lower end you are still a "healthy weight" (in the green). I would say that you are fine where your are but do not want to loose any more weight. Keep active- I think an hour of mild exercise a day (like walking or leisurly swimming) is suggested as a good ammount- and be sure to eat a good ammount and well balanced diet.
As long as you feel healthy at your current weight you should be fine. If you start to notice that your are loosig weight, getting low on energy or feeling otherwise off goo see your doctor to get some advice.

Oh and try not to let what other people comment about you get to you. At your age weight and build can be all over the place. If you've had a growth spurt recently you will look skinnier and you'll look fatter if you're due for one etc etc. All your weight is currently trying to work out where it's mean to be and settle into place. At your are you do not need to look like an adult and that will be what people often compare you to. Some people are also just mean for the sake of it. What matters is that you are happy and healthy. :smile:
Being underweight places you at risk of a few conditions, such as osteoporosis.

Also I guarantee that you don't eat 3,000 calories a day if you weigh 45kg.

Quick Reply

Latest