The Student Room Group

Gap year!!!!

Hey guys
So i was meant to be at uni last month September, but my GCSE maths wasn't GOOD coz i got a D (IS RETAKE BTW from previous year). my course is mental health nursing, so i needed at least a C or level 2 function skills, so have decided to take a GAP year instead to retake my maths exams. i dont really like maths tbh but just to get in for my course i will try my best. so do you guys think i should do function skills level 2? or Gcse maths higher paper, but both are acceptable or should i do both?
YES!!!!!! Am done with A Levels, but i will be working during my gap year in a care home.
my gcse grades:
english:C
maths:d
geogrpahy: c
sociology: c
health and social care: D*
applied science: D*
religious education: B
AS(YEAR 12)
psychology: c
philosophy and ethic: c
health and social care: D*D*
applied science: D
AS( END OF YEAR 13)
DROPPED TWO SUBJECTS.
health and social care extended diploma: D*D*D*
applied science: D*
Im going for Coventry university, have got an offer from them but for a different course, but have email them to ask for a change of course. Do you guys think my grade is enough or should i do access course, since is for a year before i can resume in September? should i apply now or wait until everyone is applying?
PS: Im redoing my Gcse maths exam in summer. who else is taking a GAP year??
Thanks for reading and you comments!!
If I where you, id look at the practicalities of each course the GCSE or functional skills and decide from that. I.e is one cheaper, is one at your local college and one taught further away, is one run in the evenings, is one durring the day. You have said it dosent matter which you do, for your course but latter down the road some jobs may say require GCSE and you would regret picking functional skills so id look into that too. Im slightly confused you said at the begging of the post you wernt sure which to do, and at the end you said you were doing the GCSE next summer ?
Reply 2
Original post by Phoebe Joan xo
If I where you, id look at the practicalities of each course the GCSE or functional skills and decide from that. I.e is one cheaper, is one at your local college and one taught further away, is one run in the evenings, is one durring the day. You have said it dosent matter which you do, for your course but latter down the road some jobs may say require GCSE and you would regret picking functional skills so id look into that too. Im slightly confused you said at the begging of the post you wernt sure which to do, and at the end you said you were doing the GCSE next summer ?

hey, i meant if i was to do the maths retake is gonna be in summer, but the function skills is in January. yeah i was told that as well thats why am deciding against doing functional skills. am thinking of doing it at my former school, but i have to pay for it as an external student, but they havent get back to me on whether i will be allowed to come in for lesson or not.

Quick Reply

Latest