The Student Room Group

How to write an A level essay just coming up from GCSE - help please!

So I've recently just started my AS/A levels in English Literature, History, Government and Politics and French. Seen as it's only been a few weeks into classes so far we've not really been writing essays as we've just been learning content, however my English teachers are beginning to set essay questions as homework. Seen as I've just come up from GCSE I'm trying my hardest to write a sophisticated essay however, I'm struggling as to how I step it up and make essays A level worthy? The highest mark in my English class for our recent essay was a C. I aim to get all A's in my a levels but I'm worrying about the essay writing, I'm a good writer but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me/give me tips on how to step my essays up and make the A level standard.
Much appreciated,
Evie
Your teachers are best placed to help. Have you had any feedback on your previous work? Is there anything you feel is lacking? Maybe think about the difference between analysis and description and whether or not your essay flows and has structure that's easy to follow. Are you making clear arguments and are they well connected?
Reply 2
For Politics it's about having a good structure and very recent and up to date knowledge, so keep up with the news with that one.

Keep the paragraphs straight to the point, with clear understanding of the topic and evaluative comments showing that you know beyond what the specification requires. I find using the PEEL structure to be most effective. Where L is linking back to the question.

Having an understanding of what each subjects require of you is going to take time and practise. Bring in extra essays for the teachers to mark with the content you've learnt so far and take on their feedback and use it to improve on your future essays.
Original post by aamirac
For Politics it's about having a good structure and very recent and up to date knowledge, so keep up with the news with that one.

Keep the paragraphs straight to the point, with clear understanding of the topic and evaluative comments showing that you know beyond what the specification requires. I find using the PEEL structure to be most effective. Where L is linking back to the question.

Having an understanding of what each subjects require of you is going to take time and practise. Bring in extra essays for the teachers to mark with the content you've learnt so far and take on their feedback and use it to improve on your future essays.

Thank you! I have just looked up the PEEL method and its brillaint!
Original post by alleycat393
Your teachers are best placed to help. Have you had any feedback on your previous work? Is there anything you feel is lacking? Maybe think about the difference between analysis and description and whether or not your essay flows and has structure that's easy to follow. Are you making clear arguments and are they well connected?

I have never thought of writing more essays on concent we've covered but thank you i will be sure to take that on board.
Make sure to include all the AOs and it shouldn't be too hard
We recently did one (first one) and I got a B without really doing anything new. Just did what I did at GCSEs to get an A in literature

Quick Reply