The Student Room Group

When has a teacher gone above and beyond in teaching?

I was reading a cute buzzfeed article about cool/helpful teachers, and I loved this one:

Thought it was a really interesting way to get students interested and engaged with a subject.

Have you ever had a teacher do something amazing/cool for you, or to get students interested in a subject?
Yeah, my English teacher used to mark my long-as-hell essays which also had crappy handwriting. That's an impressive feat. He tried to bend the rules regarding coursework too and gave up a lot of his spare time to teach and help struggling students. Probably the best teacher I've ever had.
:angelwings:
Reply 2
I had a teacher who bought several students a lego set when we left college.

I was eighteen, so it wasn't the most obvious leaving present....
Reply 3
WEll, my teacher IS planning to buy textbooks for us to take home...
my chemistry teacher ran revision mornings on sundays in the run up to the exams and bought us doughnuts and biscuits out of his own pocket.
Reply 5
My biology teacher as secondary school was amazing. Such an inspiration too <3
Reply 7
I just want to do a shout out for all the 'average' teachers who don't go viral, who absolutely work their asses off just for a decent lesson. It's surely one of the most underrated and undervalued jobs.

As for the ones I really noticed... my English teacher for A-level was pretty awesome. Again, he didn't do anything that stood out. It was just his manner, he cared about everyone in the class. From me and the other quiet nerd at the front, to the rest of the class who were pretty loud and disruptive he got on with all of us and made us interested in what we were doing (even if it was on Pastoral Literature). I guess one thing he did was made you feel like an adult, no conversation topics were out of bounds or anything like that.

Also my Spanish teacher at A-level organised a residential trip abroad for us, at his old school in Spain, he did this himself it wasn't set up by the school. That was a pretty awesome thing to do.
Made us do tests and shamed us if we got low grades.<<teachers going beyond their teaching skills
Just want to say all teachers are brilliant! Oh except one at my old school who was a very boring not great physic teacher except now I love physics at my new school!!!!! And maths of course, our maths teacher has a really funny accent. We have a really nice history teacher who once caught me when I tripped over my bag and gave us lovely textbooks and inspired me to choose history IGCSE over another subject. And our English teacher is so good she explains things really well and helps us with our essays. And the biology teacher although she can be a bit hmm has really helped me think quickly as she really keeps us on our feet. We had an amazing chemistry teacher last year, actually an IB teacher who was covering us and although we only had her for half a year or so she explained things really well and helped us through some hard topics, mainly ionic bonding. Sorry I've basically gone through all my teachers hehe never mind
My maths teacher bought me a calculater out of her own money because she knew that I couldnt afford one. She made me believe that people believed that i could suceed and inspired me to take a level maths. She always gave us sweets at the end of term and lollies when we went over exam papers. We had one lesson a term when we watched the simpsons and before our exams she made us all good luck cards. She also sent us emails on results day congratulating us.
Although his role is not fully a teacher, or conducting a lesson for exams, my personal tutor has done a lot for me. Especially when I went into hospital after one of my exams. He kept ringing my parents to make sure I was alright and to get updates, whilst he worked around the exams office, and attempted to sort 'special consideration' for me. He had a full day of meetings which he gave up for that. I'm so lucky to have his support, and he is always available if I need to talk to him about anything from exams to applications, or just having a stress-free five minute conversation before getting back to studying. He doesn't get enough recognition for everything he does for us students!

Also, my other tutors do everything they can for us, and are always caring and making sure that we are all alright. It's brilliant to have that much support! :smile:
Above and beyond is a little different in my mind than trying to get pupils attention often by doing something different.

And I realise that nowadays kids have lower attention spans but even with that in mind I think that a good teacher doesn't have to do something that grabs attention in a certain way.

I had teachers that gave good content in class and didn't pick on pupils, and were friendly to them in public no suprise they were the ones that got the best grades, but I don't think they went above and beyond as much as gave everyone a chance and didn't judge.
My French teacher in year 11 helped me choose which sixth form to go to just before the application deadline :smile:
My form tutor helped my friend, who was crying on the day of DofE because her group blamed her for forgetting the pasta, so my teacher walked with her to the corner shop down the road and bought her a pack of pasta with her own money.

- i realise this has nothing to do with teaching, just thought it was a sweet gesture.
(edited 7 years ago)
My English teacher from year 10 and 11, she would hold after school revision sessions pretty much every single day after school, mark any extra work I did on my own and give it back to me next lesson, she even took me aside when I was feeling low and talked to me that she thought I may have depression and I should see a GP because she could see how unmotivated I was and how little sleep I was getting, she pushed me to go to the doctor which ultimately stopped me from falling into a very dark place. I felt like she truly cared about her students and she was the best teacher I have ever had to this day.

I also had a physics teacher who had open sessions for students for biology, physics, and chemistry because we were all so behind due to the awful teachers. She did this over the easter holidays, even on Saturdays on Sundays. That was pretty amazing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
my chemistry teacher ran revision mornings on sundays in the run up to the exams and bought us doughnuts and biscuits out of his own pocket.

My Physics teacher also did that, and my science teachers in general set up revision sessions on Saturday mornings with hot drinks and food for the GCSEs.
Original post by Keen_student
My Physics teacher also did that, and my science teachers in general set up revision sessions on Saturday mornings with hot drinks and food for the GCSEs.

You know that those teachers are the ones that really do care about their pupils.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending